Silly O'clock This Morning

Jocky

So I get up at 4:30 and head out to the desert. Drive for 90 minutes and get to the edge of the fossiling area. Heavy fog :

foggy2.jpg

I am not that stupid to drive across uneven desert with visibility down to about 50 feet.

Seemed to have settled in for the day so gave up and now will go and be grumpy all day.

Boo Hoo pooor me

Edited by Jocky

Is the fog there as cold as it looks? Somehow I picture it being at least warm if not hot all the time there.

Looks rather daunting and barren. I suppose a good GPS unit would come in handy on a day like that! More than the uneven terrain, the fact that you couldn't see distant landmarks to find your way out is what would worry me! If you don't mind me asking, are you in Qatar for military reasons, civilian employment with an energy company or did you just go over for the desert fossiling? :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Thanks for the sympathy.

GPS is no good when you cant see the drop just deep enough to ground out the vehicle.

The temperature this morning was around 16 Celsius and it felt really damp. That is as cold as it gets all year round.

I am in the civilian sector and have lived here for about 2 years. Doha took a lot of getting used to but now fully adjusted we love it.

CHEERS

...GPS is no good when you cant see the drop just deep enough to ground out the vehicle...

At least you would know precisely where you are stuck... :o

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Jocky-

I love the pix you post of your desert.... reminds me of my time in the Sahara. Dang-it about your aborted fossil hunt.

Thick fog in the desert is awesomely ironic. It looks like the surface of Venus or Titan.

Do you have other pics?

Context is critical.

Thick fog in the desert is awesomely ironic. It looks like the surface of Venus or Titan.

Do you have other pics?

Oh Please don't get me started. I got a new camera at Christmas and have gone snap crazy. Here is a few more of the foggy day:

Dscf0702.jpg

Dscf0700.jpg

Dscf0698.jpg

Same bit if desert 2 weeks ago. The road is about 3 Km almost straight ahead in this pic:

Dscf0487.jpg

CHEERS

Edited by Jocky

I had to put this in. My daughter was at her sailing club. Thats her below:

sail1.jpg

Do you see the wall in the background of this pic:

sail3.jpg

Well I recognized that wall was made up of Miocene Limestone. Look what I found in it:

sail4.jpg

Almost makes up for the day before.

CHEERS

Nice gastropod in matrix. Does that rock outcrop along the coast? Or is there too little wave action within the Persian Gulf to erode anything?

Context is critical.

Yep, I think you made the hard, but smart decision to just wait until a better day. I think everyone has had to abort one time or another. If think there have been some who have not aborted when they knew better only to really regret it!

Nice gastropod in matrix. Does that rock outcrop along the coast? Or is there too little wave action within the Persian Gulf to erode anything?

That is an artificial breakwater and yes the coastal erosion is minimal due lack of waves.

Yep, I think you made the hard, but smart decision to just wait until a better day. I think everyone has had to abort one time or another. If think there have been some who have not aborted when they knew better only to really regret it!

Never had a second thought. It was too dangerous so I went home.

CHEERS