Winter Weekends At The Waterfall!

Life 42

What a difference a week can make. Last week Mike and I were in the creek, weather was balmy and we were digging up a sea monster. The winter has been much more fruitful than we expected and the “itch” to dig won’t subside. So in spite of the freezing temperatures that rolled in overnight we bundled up and once again headed to the waterfall. There are signs that we may be just too overzealous –first using hot hands not just in our gloves but down the waders as well (completely convinced this would work) and second the icicle wind chimes that dotted the creek.

We were cold but not disappointed. I collected any bone material in hopes to continue to build the monster but no more associated vertebrae’s present themselves. We did find some verts but they do not appear to be linked to the monster in progress. Stay tuned.

Today was a killer day for Notorynchus teeth with some beauties coming out in the screening. I found my first ever symphyseal tooth as well as an upper parasymphyseal. That was a trip maker for me no doubt.

Wasn’t a bad day for the rest of extended shark families either J

I have a bit of bone material, verts, a whale/dolphin tooth, a very small fish jaw near the penny and that round bone with the deep striations.

The trip was short, just over an hour. When my fingertips started to burn I knew we had to turn back. Overall thankful again for another great weekend to collect and an awesome fossil partner to share it with!

post-6549-0-82282400-1326572397_thumb.jpg

post-6549-0-57083300-1326572446_thumb.jpg

...I'd rather be digging...Life

Amazing colors on those teeth. Wish I had a spot like that near me. Or even 4 hours away!

"One of these day's I'm going to find a tooth over 3inches."

I would setup a campsite there with camp heaters warm up and jump right back in Life. :) :) But being that close to a site I would just as much enjoy an hour here and there as you all are doing already....

Love the teeth colors there from your spot... Jealous as usual and thanks for sharing with us too... Supposed to be warmer around Tuesday maybe you can get back out there again.... Looking forward to your and Mike continued posts....Regards Tarheel/Jeff

Unreal. I hope you guys realize how good of a site you have there. Those are awesome cow shark teeth and I like that chub on the left. Great finds. Only an hour too? Wow. I go out for several hours regardless of how cold it is.

superlative performance!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

What a great couple of weekends! Monday is supposed to be warmer, so I'm hoping to spend more than an hour down there. Thanks for all the great feedback, what a great community we stumbled into. Btw Rick had to put the chub back together but at least we found both halves!

Mike

Sweet finds.

Thanks Lloyd,

hows the pa fossils, I grew up outside york and have family who want to start hunting up there.

Mike

Nice finds once again, and you even pulled another thresher shark tooth out! The cow shark teeth are awesome, Ive never seen so many complete and nice ones found on a single trip, let alone an hour! That chub is a beauty and good thing you did find both halves! Maybe the sea monster will begin to make a reapearance next time. Its one of the joys of fossil hunting, you never know what your going to find! Great post, thanks for posting, I always look forward to them! Definitely keep all the bone you find as well, even if they arent verts, you might find something else that was a part of the same critter!

Mike

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Man, in just one hour? That's nuts! That makes my 4 hours at Calvert Cliffs today look downright pitifull....not even going to post my finds.

Daryl.

Man, in just one hour? That's nuts! That makes my 4 hours at Calvert Cliffs today look downright pitifull....not even going to post my finds.

Daryl.

Isn't that the truth.

We just are very blessed to be the first to discover this spot! It hasn't produced any great whites(Rick) and we certainly don't have. whale teeth like what we saw at the MGS meeting(Darryl). It has given us a great shared hobby that's makes you feel like a kid again with each find.

...I'd rather be digging...Life

Wow! Wow! Wow! :D

You two have an awesome site - and I like that you share the passion for the hobby.

Thanks for your posts - a joy to see your reports.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Give it time, with what you have found so far, I bet one day you will find a pile of whale teeth. I think that site has quite a few surprises in store for you. I know I will keep tuned in for your upcoming posts. You always find something good, unique or surprising. Just watch out for those beavers!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Another amazing trip. Like I said before, I have never seen a site that gives up cow shark teeth with the regularity of your site. You have the spot of a lifetime, most of us will never have a site like this. I always look forward to seeing your post's

BTW, Love the symphyseal. Everyone I have seen has an attitude of its own, and yours is a beauty!!

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Awesome stuff. I can only dream of finding that many cows in a day. My best ever is 3 and I doubt that will ever be repeated. Congrats.