Cretaceous Trip--Taylor County Texas

mikecable

I can't wait to get on the road again.

On the road again

Goin' places that I've never been.

Seein' things that I may never see again.

Planning to head out tomorrow afternoon. Looks to be a nice day--partly cloudy and sunny, high near 70. A six hour trip--approximately 2 hours driving and 4 hours hunting.

We will be in the Edwards group--in the Geologic Atlas of Texas identified as Kecw--Edwards Limestone, Comanche Limestone, and Walnut Formation undivided. The possibility of running into Antler Sands, Segovia Formation, and Fort Terrett Formation, but with the exception of the Antler Sands I doubt it.

This trip is totally a cold call--no prior knowledge other than working things out from the stratigraphy.

My goals are to--

Find some fossils, sunshine, exercise and relaxation.

Learn how to differentiate what is indentified as Kecw--undivided on my map. Look for and identify any evidence of Antler Sands, Segovia, and Ft. Terrett formations. We will be traversing about 400 feet in elevation--how does this match up to the maps and the formations. Think in 4 dimensions.

At any site that is fossiliferous gather one gallon of dry matrix if possible for microfossil investigation at home. Ostracods and forams are possible, as well as micro versions of the general fauna.

Remember to record GPS coordinates, take field notes, take pictures.

Von Clauswitz--"The map is not the terrain."

post-7463-0-45384100-1326763231_thumb.jpg

The best site we found, and it wasn't much. I picked up a few broken, weathered echinoids, and one that wasn't too weathered, but not worthy of a pic. A few oysters at this site as well, but very weathered.

I did learn to differentiate the Antler Sands from the Walnut Clay. Not so much the Comanche Peak Limestone from the Edwards Limestone. I think this cut is close to the transition of Edwards to Comanche Peak.

Now that I've explored the formations over a wide area I want to go back to the site north of Fluvanna, where I can actually see the divisions.

I've been chagrined by sub par returns before too...makes you appreciate the next good trip that much more. You are in the season of sowing and soon you'll be reaping. Keep at it.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I like what you have done with the pic of the Fluvanna site, these kinds of diagrams are very useful to those who are learning.