Please Please Let This Be What I Think It Is...

hokiehunter

It looks a lot like a section of a Proboscidea tusk, maybe Gomphothere but I'm not familiar with the fossils in that area...

Edited by edd

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

Mammoth or gomph was my second guess but this is a 90+ percent marine fossil area so any terrestrial mammal would be very cool too. I've just never seen or heard of anyone finding either in this neck of the woods so very excited to have stumbled on this today.

Definitely look like a piece of tusk, what kind I don't know but someone probably will. Grats, nice find no matter what animal it turns out to come from.

Sure looks like tusk to me also look at this piece I have to compare . I think edd got it right . Very nice find!

post-23-0-61424200-1326591112_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-81104500-1326591337_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-91842200-1326591381_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-42731200-1326591440_thumb.jpg

Edited by worthy 55

It's my bone!!!

I can't help with the ID but whatever it is... It's way cool!! :drool:

I do know there has been Gomphothere material found from the cliffs.

I agree with the others that it is proboscidean tusk. Your photo on post #5 shows schreger lines. Walrus tusk doesn't have these lines. I'm not sure if there are Miocene walruses. The ones I'm familiar with are Pliocene to recent.

That's why I said it might be a section of Proboscidean tusk, the schreger lines is a good indicator that it's not a walrus tusk and instead it's a ancient elephant. The reason I said that it looks to be a Gomphothere is because the enamel looks a lot like the enamel present on a piece of gomphothere tusk I have in my collection

Edited by edd

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

Yipeee. Proboscidean tusk works for me! thank you to all for the I.D assist. In fact its better since as said above terrestrial mammal stuff from the bay is basically a once a year if that find.

And Flyersfan805... It was from the bay. Not creek. Ill take the exact location to my grave though. :-)

Edited by hokiehunter

Sweet find! I wish I had my piece of tusk to compare with yours. But definitely interesting. That mako is a real shame! It sure is pretty, and if it was complete, I think you would still be doing the "Meg Dance".

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Jason, I would send some pics of that to Dr. Godfrey at the Calvert Marine museum.

his email is: >redacted from the public board<

Awesome find!

Daryl.

Jason, I would send some pics of that to Dr. Godfrey at the Calvert Marine museum.

his email is: >redacted from the public board<

Awesome find!

Daryl.

Hey Daryl,

Probably better to PM Dr. Godfrey's email address. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!