Assailed By Snails...

xonenine

several pictures from my last trip for the season perhaps, Tuesday will be 41 degrees tho, you never know,,,

the largest trilobite ceph I have come across (4cm across the exposed ceph) is in that matrix piece with a gastropod, another commonly large pyg, and something pyrite, I have hardly caught up w this trip yet to see... luckily, with all the cold and snow :)

1 platyceras and coral sp?

2 aviculopecten - thanks Bullsnake

3 bellacartwrightia and gastropod id to come

4 gastropod sp?

5 trilobite, gastropd, gastropd, something else, trilo pyg, awaiting prep

6 tabulate coral w calcite

post-4577-0-44750500-1326681949_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-75082500-1326681954_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-45340400-1326681960_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-49313600-1326681965_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-26426700-1326681971_thumb.jpg

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

post-4577-0-50193900-1326682133_thumb.jpg

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Great snails, Carmine! :D

Any ideas on an ID for pic # 4??

I envy your proximity to the great trilos and gastros!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

thanks Tim, i don't normally find #4, how do you like tritonophon rotolinea?

there's tons here left for you also :)

Edited by xonenine

looks like a squished platyceras sort of to me. Cool stuff Carmine!

thanks Jim, #1 is a platy, the gastro #4 I think tho this ribbed center precludes it,,,,I will clean it better tho, and shoot a close up :)

Edited by xonenine

Interesting coral in pic #1, looks very flat/squat - is that your first example of something new or maybe just a flatter example of something you've already seen? And is that Platy just a steinkern or do the gastros at that site retain their shell too? (I've noticed that certain taxa preserve differently than others at many sites, including here.)

Nice bivalve also.

Pic #2 has an Actinopteria I think. Click this link to a post on my blog and look near the bottom.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Really nice. That squat coral in #1 is very interesting. And the bivalve is terrific. These all look like Hamilton Group critters. What formation are they from?

Interesting coral in pic #1, looks very flat/squat - is that your first example of something new or maybe just a flatter example of something you've already seen? And is that Platy just a steinkern or do the gastros at that site retain their shell too? (I've noticed that certain taxa preserve differently than others at many sites, including here.)

Nice bivalve also.

Thanks Eric, and Erose, I will look this coral up tonight - I have found a few others that were similar, but they aren't too frequent...

all the gastros, brachs, and trilos retain their shells, the bivalves slowly lose most detail and shell material.The brachs can have as much as 1/2 inch thick calcerous shells, and when you hit a good limestone boulder just right, nothing is more unusual than literally being able to grab both sides of the piece and tear it open, there is so much shell the limestone seperates with no chisels.I have found maybe 3 or 4 boulders like this.

These are large boulders from several hundred lbs up, that were drilled or blasted out for bridge construction - I found the first sample that had a hole drilled in it this week....I wanted to collect the hole, but I knew w the tools at hand I'd break it, hopefully it'll still be there...who steals a hole? This is indeed the Moscow Formation/Hamilton Group :)

These fossils are really accumulating for winter, so if there is anything special any of you guys would like to add to your collection, just holler, you too Dave! :)

Edited by xonenine

Pic #2 has an Actinopteria I think. Click this link to a post on my blog and look near the bottom.

thanks very much Dave, I can't wait to look tonight, even more so now w a few clues! :)

I have to agree with you, Actinopteria looks the closest so far, thanks for your input Dave - I guess I'd feel better if I could see the rest of the shell, but thats not going to happen, I can't ruin the natural composition... :)

post-4577-0-66200000-1326763763_thumb.png

I have to agree with you, Actinopteria looks the closest so far, thanks for your input Dave - I guess I'd feel better if I could see the rest of the shell, but thats not going to happen, I can't ruin the natural composition... :)

I was thinking aviculopecten.

Steve

yeah, thanks I wasn't feeling like I could just assign it Steve, a closer look shows more diagnostic features, some finer striations between those visible, etc...I will try to clean up these fossils a tad, and shoot a few more, as well, there are a half dozen other good 3 to 5 inch bivalves, and a few stropheminids I think to add... :)

Hmmm... I think I agree with you and it's listed in Grabau's "Geology and Paleontology of 18 Mile Creek". Good eye!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

again they attacked today, in greater numbers, I do not really feel safe there anymore...here are two of the assailants...

i am quite pleased w the profusion of gastros I have stumbled onto, and 1 more day to collect them. I gathered 10 of the best to clean up over the weekend! :)

post-4577-0-25391900-1326844943_thumb.jpg

Edited by xonenine

Carmine, When you say "the bivalves slowly lose most detail and shell material"... is this before or after you have collected the specimen?? (hopefully before) ;) Not like a pyrite-replaced fossil that might someday get 'pyrite disease' even as it sits in your collection?

Carmine, When you say "the bivalves slowly lose most detail and shell material"... is this before or after you have collected the specimen?? (hopefully before) ;) Not like a pyrite-replaced fossil that might someday get 'pyrite disease' even as it sits in your collection?

before the collecting Eric - it's just the varied states of fossilization I find them in.Today I picked up another couple dozen smaller brachs and bivalves, 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inch or so, they had some great intact shells, I will clean these as well... :)

Thought that's what you meant. Here, there are places here where the shell (of everything from echinoids to ammos and clams) will be missing due to some sort of localized hydrothermal action I assume, while in unaffected places the shell will be intact. Some of the brachs (rare) and another oystery type of bivalve will have nacreous preservation but this material is very soft and crumbly and impossible to get out intact.

Then I see that some of the Cretaceous Fms of Texas have intact echies while mollusks in the same area are all steinkerns.

Anyway your matrix sounds like fun to work with, whereas my local shale is so splintery, it's awful, but still worth it when you can get a nice specimen in the end.