Bracklesham Beds (Selsey Uk) 2011 Finds

fossilcole

I have selected the most interesting and reasonable quality fossils that I found on the beaches between Selsey and Bracklesham on the South Coast of England during 2011.

As a general comment, this was a poor year of collecting for me (and I think others??) My passion is for vertebrate fossils and in particular sharks teeth but I have been known to stoop down and pick up the occasional invertebrate fossil !!

I put my 2011 fossil finds into the following categories:-

1. Medium to Large sharks teeth

2. Small to Medium sharks teeth

3. Various other vertebrtae fossils

4. Various invertebrate fossils

5. A selection of individual specimens worthy of a picture in their own right

6. An idea of what the site can look like when not covered in sand and an in situ photo

The section of beach shown is a designated Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) but is under threat of being lost due to Sea Defence works currently being carried out through to early 2013.

Enjoy whilst you can.

post-1392-0-24355700-1326724109_thumb.jpg

post-1392-0-44912900-1326724138_thumb.jpg

post-1392-0-90304100-1326724167_thumb.jpg

post-1392-0-12680200-1326724198_thumb.jpg

post-1392-0-99762900-1326724250_thumb.jpg

post-1392-0-93545400-1326724265_thumb.jpg

post-1392-0-50200800-1326724284_thumb.jpg

post-1392-0-88194300-1326724303_thumb.jpg

post-1392-0-85492200-1326724322_thumb.jpg

post-1392-0-61702000-1326724339_thumb.jpg

post-1392-0-60478200-1326724357_thumb.jpg

post-1392-0-10264000-1326724383_thumb.jpg

post-1392-0-38143900-1326724400_thumb.jpg

post-1392-0-65222600-1326724424_thumb.jpg

post-1392-0-59384200-1326724454_thumb.jpg

post-1392-0-11778700-1326724474_thumb.jpg

post-1392-0-51347100-1326724497_thumb.jpg

Well done! A year well spent, even if, as you say, it was a comparatively poor year. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice teeth, what age are they? It looks cretaceous?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Some lovely teeth there! Great finds! Have you hunted at Barton on Sea, in Hampshire?

I have visited Barton but not for some time. I have never had much luck there and local knowledge is very important. I think the collecting has been poor there recently also.

Nice teeth, what age are they? It looks cretaceous?

These are all mid eocene 45 - 55 myo.

That's a nice selection of Selsey-Bracklesham fossils. It's been a while since I've seen a sample from there. That's a cool crocodile vertebra and that one ray tooth is huge. I like the Jaekelotodus tooth too.

I haven't seen any teeth from Barton-on-Sea in a while.

I have selected the most interesting and reasonable quality fossils that I found on the beaches between Selsey and Bracklesham on the South Coast of England during 2011.

As a general comment, this was a poor year of collecting for me (and I think others??) My passion is for vertebrate fossils and in particular sharks teeth but I have been known to stoop down and pick up the occasional invertebrate fossil !!

I put my 2011 fossil finds into the following categories:-

1. Medium to Large sharks teeth

2. Small to Medium sharks teeth

3. Various other vertebrtae fossils

4. Various invertebrate fossils

5. A selection of individual specimens worthy of a picture in their own right

6. An idea of what the site can look like when not covered in sand and an in situ photo

The section of beach shown is a designated Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) but is under threat of being lost due to Sea Defence works currently being carried out through to early 2013.

Enjoy whilst you can.

That's a nice selection of Selsey-Bracklesham fossils. It's been a while since I've seen a sample from there. That's a cool crocodile vertebra and that one ray tooth is huge. I like the Jaekelotodus tooth too.

I haven't seen any teeth from Barton-on-Sea in a while.

I think the vertebra may well be Palaeophis typhaeus (Marine snake vertebra) rather than Diplocynodon (Crocodile)??

Never forget: It only takes a single great fossil, no matter how small, so make your day when it comes to fossiling.

I would be VERY happy to come home after a good day of fossiling with only one or two of some of the specimens pictured. Many days in western Kansas have been made by a single large Cretoxyrhina mantelli or a Ptychodus tooth of ANY species.

Again, Nice teeth and fossils!

Never forget: It only takes a single great fossil, no matter how small, so make your day when it comes to fossiling.

I would be VERY happy to come home after a good day of fossiling with only one or two of some of the specimens pictured. Many days in western Kansas have been made by a single large Cretoxyrhina mantelli or a Ptychodus tooth of ANY species.

Again, Nice teeth and fossils!

Too true.. I can tell you that I have, on many occasions come home with nothing more than an aching back!! Last year my fossil hunting was pretty good up until April and then the site seemed to go off the boil.

Thanks for your comments.

Very nice material. About how many days of collecting does that represent, if you say the collecting has been slow? And what is meant by "Sea Defense", is that military defense or erosion control in nature? If the location is a SSSI site, does that offer any hope that the site won't be destroyed? Around here, between quarries closing to collectors and outcrops being flooded by dams, buried under rip-rap for "erosion control", or incorporated into state/federal parks or wilderness areas (off-limits to collecting), the number of places one can collect is becoming more limited all the time.

Don

Those are two views of the same vertebra? That's a big one for a snake.

I like the ray plate too - tough to find one anywhere with that many medial teeth and one with a few lateral teeth still attached is a real prize.

I think the vertebra may well be Palaeophis typhaeus (Marine snake vertebra) rather than Diplocynodon (Crocodile)??

Very nice material. About how many days of collecting does that represent, if you say the collecting has been slow? And what is meant by "Sea Defense", is that military defense or erosion control in nature? If the location is a SSSI site, does that offer any hope that the site won't be destroyed? Around here, between quarries closing to collectors and outcrops being flooded by dams, buried under rip-rap for "erosion control", or incorporated into state/federal parks or wilderness areas (off-limits to collecting), the number of places one can collect is becoming more limited all the time.

Don

Hi Don, I would say on average that I get on site twice a month. It is very tide dependant. (Spring Tides better as they permit more time on site). Winter hunting is limited due to daylight hours although I have been known to go out with a head torch when the site has been productive. My reference to Sea Defence works (English spelling!!) relate to sea level rise and coastal erosion. The SSSI status of this site offers some protection but fossils are way down the list.

Thanks for your interest.

Chris Cole

If those are finds from a poor year, then I'd also like to see some of your things from better ones! Nice finds nevertheless in my opinion.

You can see quite a few of my fossil specimens in the Bracklesham Beds / Vertebrates section of the attached web site:-

http://www.dmap.co.uk/fossils/

I have visited Barton but not for some time. I have never had much luck there and local knowledge is very important. I think the collecting has been poor there recently also.

I went there in 2008, and there were laods of teeth and shells, I am sure there are still shells there, but the teeth might possibly be on decline.

Hey, some of those snails look like things with no data that I have in my collection... do you mind posting more pics of your snails if you have more? Especially the one in lower-left and the one next to it, and the high-spired ones above those. I would appreciate that. I'll get pics of mine for your opinion (tomorrow). Cheers

Hi Bill, thanks for re-posting that link for Wrangellian, and I hope this goes some way to answering the question. (Bracklesham gastropods). Gastropods and Bi-valves are not my favourites ... but I do pick them up if the vertebrates are slow!!!

As we say in England ... fill your boots. I have visited Medmerry Beach today and it is pretty well totally covered with sand at the mo although I did pick up about 5 teeth and a couple of Trionyx fragments.

Wrangellian, let me know if you want more??

Cheers

Chris Cole

Thanks both of you, I had a look thru all the gastros but didnt find anything that matched well enough (I knew it was a long-shot), so it (they) will have to remain nameless/locationless for now. What's more, I took a closer look at the things and noticed certain details that throw a whole new light on the matter! Back to Square 1.