New Guy In Minnesota

MinnMike

Hey, I'm new to fossil collecting and the forum. I was wondering how often complete (both halves) of brachiopod fossils are found. I found a very nice one on my last trip.

Welcome, Mike! Post a pic of it.

We find both valves all the time in FL deposits. It depends on the actual characteristics of the deposit. I've not found many whole ones in other states I've hunted, but I bet certain deposits have more than others.

hi mike. we find whole braciopods here in utah regularly. i think that the structure of most brachiopods lends itself to staying together. they often have large hinges which hold them together better that say an oyster or a clam. (but not always, there is a group of brachiopods called inarticulates that have a very small hinge so they are often found apart.)

Does anyone know where I can get information on what type of animals I can find in minnesota? I have found the spots that seem to have promise, I would like to know what to look for? I will post a picture soon.

MN

Bienvenidos de Tejas. I grew up in OH and would have to say that most of the brachs in the Ordovician strata I hunted as a kid had both valves. Ditto for the Pennsylvanian exposures in TX where I now live. We have one prominent Cretaceous brach down here named Kingena wacoensis and it too is complete 90+% of the time.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

• 5 weeks later...