Farson, Wyoming

Roger Weaver

I'm a new guy to this forum, so please excuse my clumbsiness.

In '72 while vacationing in Wyoming and by way of a shop owner (Tynsky, I think) in Rock Springs, he told me of a fossil dig (fish) by the Farson reservoir which I did visit. I do remember finding a lot of what was considered 'culls' (broken pieces) which I did keep a few.

Since then, I have been told that the dig has been shut down, but have not been able to verify if in deed this did happen. Does anyone know if in fact it is closed because I was planning a motorcycle trip this summer to revisit. I appreciate any help.

Was that by chance Dave Freeman's quarry?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It wasn't a quarry. I just remember passing a reservoir on the way to the dig (to my left going north). All that I can remember was a large earthen mound along side the road and on the back side was a flat area full of sagebrush that was the dig. There were several holes with the flat rocks that had been unearthed, encircling each hole. I was told the diggers did this to keep the cattle from stepping in the holes and hurting themselves. Keep in mind, I'm digging through 40 years of cobwebs in this rememberance

Was that by chance Dave Freeman's quarry?

I've heard that the Farson fossil fish area is on BLM land. If so, it would not be legal to collect fossil fish from the locality.

It is illegal to collect fossil fish from any BLM land in the Farson area. If you can find private land you can collect there. Your best bet now is to go to a pay to dig quarry near Kemmerer. I recommend Warfield Fossil Safari.

Even in the 70's it was illegal, but then the BLM didn't really enforce the law like they do now.

Freeman's quarry was/is south of Rock Springs and I don't believe it is open to the public.

Jim

Old Dead Things

As I recall it is a BLM area, but thanks for all replies. I hadn't planned to dig, just to revisit and reminisce after 40 years.

I'll add my two Wyoming Cents...Old dead Things is absolutely right. And nando's advice should be considered. If the place is indeed patroled by the BLM, you may have a hard time explaining that you are just reliving old memories if you are driving a car full of fossil tools... on the other hand, if your just on a motorcycle....

I've been there and seen the piles and old pits. Took pictures but no fossils because it is BLM land and they are very nasty if you get caught. Here is an old report I did of the visit: Click Here

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Shamalama,

Thanks for your input. I went to your report of '09 and that's how I remembered the dig, sagebrush galore. I would be surprised if there aren't some coverts still digging the sight. I would think the urge would be too great not to.

I've lost interest in digging because of all the regulations. That's why I only want to revisit and reminisce this sight.

The person that put me on to the Farson sight from a Rock Springs rock shop didn't say a word about the sight as being illegal back then, but he did state it was on public land. But as stated before, that was 40 years ago and until something is abused enough then will come enforcement. As I recall my visit then, there may have been only 15 to 20 holes dug. I'm told that there are holes all over the area.

Do I understand correctly that while strolling around the area if I find plant fossils it's okay to take, but leave any fragments of fish where they lay?

Thanks again

Yeah, plants are OK to collect on BLM land, but Farson is a fish site; I'd be surprised if there are plants to be found. Nearby is the Blue Valley petrified wood aite, a perfectly legal BLM site. Yes, also, the BLM and the Forest Service have only been conscious of the rules of fossil collecting on their own lands since the Sue case. 40 yrs ago, no one knew or cared. When I first started this game (1983) I went to three different Forest Service offices asking if it was OK to collect on Forest Service lands (National Grasslands... lots of White River Fm) and got three very different answers. That would never happen nowadays.

I've found over the years that with most beauracracies the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing until something is brought to the attention of one hand or the other. I use to hunt indian artifacts here in the midwest, but regulations has brought me to a halt with that, as well.

Once again, thanks to all for the input. I may just stay away on this cycle trip.