A Tip Of The Cap To Nocturnal Fossil Collecting

vertman

Naw...you hear a hog or two every now and then. Skunks....and such wander up on occasion. I also love to night fish. Never had any problems with wildlife. They are fearful of you and will give wide berth. Water snakes are attracted to lights and splashing water. Very curious creatures. A tap on the nose with a rod tip or branch is sufficient to chase them off...unless they are in mating season. Then they act pretty crazy............................................don't we all?

I think the creepiest thing on the North Sulfur River are those giant centipedes. Man they are wicked.

Well, I finally got a chance to try the night time hunt. I got up early this morning and went to the hillside near my house to spend an hour or so. We had some light rain overnight and it was sprinkling rain while I was hunting. The rain really helped because the teeth were very shiny and the light really made them stand out. All of these teeth were found while it was still dark. Once it started getting light out, I lost the benefit of the light.

We're supposed to get some heavy rain today, so I hope to try it again tomorrow morning!

post-6450-0-94978600-1328283029_thumb.jpg

post-6450-0-15291700-1328283080_thumb.jpg

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

One thing I would be very afraid of in the North Sulphur River would be wild hogs. Now, I'm big guy, but I would be a chew toy to a 500 lb. hog with foot long tusks. They are omnivores. That means we are on the menu. There are many deaths each year attributed to hogs.

Also, There have been cougar sitings all over the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. They are also noctural hunters, and again, for a huge male, we could be on the menu.

By all means, be careful when hunting at night.

having dispatched some wild 100 hogs over the years, my personal experience has been that they don't come after me unless i sink an improperly placed projectile into them, then move in on foot for the coup de grace, or run down the pack and hand grab one of the little football squealers before mama's eyes. even when i bait a 15 yard circle around me, doze off with my back against a tree and let their feeding fracas wake me up in the dark, still no problems. they are wary animals and really like putting distance between themselves and humans. i have no fear of them unless injured, cornered, or motherly instincts challenged.

Edited by danwoehr

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Next time I stay at Venice Beach, I'll try the night thing for teeth. As mentioned, beach combing in the day is cool, but following footprints means slim picking. Generally (since I don't scuba yet) I find most of the teeth using sand flea rakes. This may open new venues.

I bet at tide changes, during the night, one could be very productive......hmmmm.....

Thanks for sharing the technique.....

As for hogs, on the beach you may have to use caution around the walrusses, but as long as you don't mention thier choice of bathing suit, they generally leave you alone...! :blink:

A good day hunting is, well..... a GOOD DAY.

Well, I finally got a chance to try the night time hunt. I got up early this morning and went to the hillside near my house to spend an hour or so. We had some light rain overnight and it was sprinkling rain while I was hunting. The rain really helped because the teeth were very shiny and the light really made them stand out. All of these teeth were found while it was still dark. Once it started getting light out, I lost the benefit of the light.

We're supposed to get some heavy rain today, so I hope to try it again tomorrow morning!

Great finds! I am glad you got to try it out!

Also, There have been cougar sitings all over the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. They are also noctural hunters, and again, for a huge male, we could be on the menu.

By all means, be careful when hunting at night.

If you would stay out of those bars, the cougar sightings would probably diminish...not to mention the danger! :D

If you would stay out of those bars, the cougar sightings would probably diminish...not to mention the danger! :D

Now that's funny!

As far as Hog danger, I was envisioning someone being in one of the small creeks with steep banks. This might cause a Hog to panic - much like a ill-placed bullet!

I think the creepiest thing on the North Sulfur River are those giant centipedes. Man they are wicked.

Oh I'm with you, no fan of centipedes, especially giant ones... {{shiver}}.. glad I don't live in that area! Are they only out at night?

I guess only certain areas are conducive to night hunting - in my area it would be quite impractical, plus more dangerous for various reasons (for one, more animals out at night - I dont care how scared of me they are, I dont trust bears and cougars!)