flyguy784

Recently hunting in one of my Lockatong formation locations I came upon this little piece. I thought some may be interested to see something, I believe, quite uncommon. I'm reasonably sure it is "the growth tip" of an Equisetites rogersi. I find quite a bit of Equisetite material in this location including transverse nodal sections but the "tip" is new to me. I've not seen an image of one in all my documention. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Specimen is roughly 1.75 inches in diameter. Enjoy.

Again, upper Lockatong formation, late Triassic, Montgomery county PA.

DSC00365.jpg

John Yank

John,

That's a pretty cool looking piece! :wub:

Great find! I'm a sucker for Triassic/Jurassic plants!

I think you're right. I don't believe I've ever seen one though.

Wonder if Roman or Chris or any of the other resident plant experts will weigh in?

Thanks for posting this - cool to see neat stuff coming out of the Supergroup!

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Just an up date on this piece. I received a message back from Dr. Brian Axsmith. It is indeed an apical meristem of Equisetites. The only one I'm aware of.

John

Whooooo! :D

Way to go John!! :fistbump:

Will it be getting described/donated anywhere?

That's pretty awesome!

Congratulations on the super rare find! :JustCuz_clapping:

Regards,

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

Thank you Mr. J. Timmy, did I send you one of the transverse nodes yet ? Not sure you ended up with one. This particular piece IS exciting. Plant stuff as you well know is uncommon, but this is super rare. I'm a happy boy for sure. Not sure at this point what will come of it or what the future holds. thanks for your enthusiasm.

John

Thank you Mr. J. Timmy, did I send you one of the transverse nodes yet ? Not sure you ended up with one. This particular piece IS exciting. Plant stuff as you well know is uncommon, but this is super rare. I'm a happy boy for sure. Not sure at this point what will come of it or what the future holds. thanks for your enthusiasm.

John

John,

I believe you did - will confirm when I get home tonight. ;)

Congratulations again!

Glad you're finding such cool things.

Best regards,

Thanks Phil and Joe. I realize an obscure part of an almost unheard of (on here) plant. From a little studied geologic formation, isn't as exciting as a shell or shark tooth but........there is a small group of devotee's on the board that appreciate the rareity of such a find. Hence, my post. As always Phil, you and for that matter, anyone, interested in hunting for an intriguing Triassic plant specimen would be more than welcome to join me. Good specimens are uncommon, the hunting is, hmmmmm, challenging, but isn't that where the excitement is. Case in point, this "apical meristem" of Equisetite is the only example of this plant part that I'm aware of, from the Triassic. I read alot about these plants from this time frame and find NO images or even mention of a similar specimen. Timmy, if you know of any reference to anything like this, let me know, please.

John

I stand corrected, found one from the Triassic. This one is from Germany I believe.

equisare.jpg

This is obviously a transverse view, and not the same species as mine.

Edited by flyguy784

I'd be interested in joining you on a hunt sometime when I'm up in Montgomery County. I will send you a new PM (the only way I know of reaching you), but haven't been successful in contacting you previously.

PM'd you back Victor. Probably my fault. I get a million E mails about fossiling and flyfishing. Sometimes I tuck one away and say, I'll answer that later and it gets buried in the mud. Sorry. Feel free to contact me when you're coming up this way. Happy to hunt with ya.

• 2 weeks later...

Heck of a fossil, John; congratulations!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Personally, I find the idea of finding something like that really cool--I mean shark teeth are neat, don't get me wrong, but sometimes it's knowing that you've found something unusual that makes it more rewarding! Congratulations!

Anna and John

SE Oklahoma

____________________________________________________________________________________

"Life is an occasion, rise to it."

--Mr. Magorium, "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium"

http://​www.johnsdiscoveries.com

Personally, I find the idea of finding something like that really cool--I mean shark teeth are neat, don't get me wrong, but sometimes it's knowing that you've found something unusual that makes it more rewarding! Congratulations!

Thank you Anna. The collection of formations that make up "The Newark Super Group" are really understudied. There appears to be a very small following that are obsessed with them. Yea, it's an obsession. I'd rather find a postage sized leaf than a couple dino tracks. Somethin wrong there. Oh well, to each, his own.

• 1 year later...

Just at the beginning of our Lockatong explorations in Montgomery County where we live. Checking out several locations as weather allows. Based on my Lockatong fish jaw/scales, my wife and I are turning out attention to Lockatong formations - the first find sort of hooked me because it was so unexpected. Also, we're challenging ourselves to see if we can find something in this very difficult formation, and because anything we do find should be somewhat rare and distinctive. Our location allows us to pop over to a Lockatong formation in 10 to 30 minutes, so we can spend time looking for "needles in haystacks" knowing we can get home in a few minutes which is good to know if we spend hours and find nothing, which may be required to explore the Lockatong!!!