Trilobite In Ironstone Revisited

Malcolmt

Piranas Trilobite in Ironstone prep from a few days ago got me inspired to pull out an Ironstone module I had from Bolivia that I had put away due to frustration some time ago it was super hard matrix and the fossil itself was crumbly. Anyway here is the before prep picture

post-4886-0-71042000-1327702062_thumb.jpg

I am not totally sure of the identity, when I purchased the nodule (20 nodules for $50.00 on ebay) it was described as Eldridgia venustus a very common Bolivian trilobite but the cephalon and eye doesn't seem quite right to me for that identity so please so jump in if you have any thoughts.

It took about two hours to get to this point and it was comprised of just using the Chicago Pnematics and ARO air scribes. Material is much too hard for a pin vice with carbide point and I did not use any air abrasion.

Not my favorite prep (actually hated it not fun at all) and definately not a favorite trilobite. I have 20 of these nodules from Bolivia and they range from 1 inch to about 4 inches in size. The preservation on all of them is not the best and there is a lot of iron oxide on the fossil itself. I have not prepped any of the others...... After this prep the other 19 are going to the end of the prepping line.

Here are the pictures taken this afternoon after the prep

post-4886-0-71592900-1327702036_thumb.jpg

post-4886-0-80148100-1327702040_thumb.jpg

post-4886-0-96049300-1327702044_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malcolmt

Sorry you hated it Malcolmt! But I think I know what you mean, and I'm sure you have awesomer( :blink:) specimens. Your prep work is admirable to me. I like the way you exposed so much of it, and it still looks like a genuine fossil. I see too many that are prepped to the point that it takes an expert to even determine if it's real or not.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for sharing!

Steve

Hi Malcolm,

Excellent results on this trilobite. You are correct as the features are incorrect for the calmoniid trilobite Eldredgeia. This one appears to be a Viaphacops sp. or similar phacopid as there are quite a few genera and species that range across South America. Glad my efforts earlier this week were the spark of inspiration. Looking forward to see if there are any other unusual examples from the rest of your batch.

Congrats again on your 'new' bug! :D

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thanks , piranha, I figured you would jump in with an id....... Since the cephalon was totally buried in the matrix the seller would have no way of knowing what it was. Probably got a good deal on the lot then at 20 trilos for $50 including this one. Any idea how common these are... would appear less so as the venustus.

Definately looks like a Viaphacops sp. perhaps to be specific Viaphacops salteri

Not an new bug but rather one that has been hiding... rats now I might have to take a look at the other 19 I had assumed they were all going to be common venustus and that is why I got them so cheap.