Lophophorates Non Polychaetes On Eusphenopteris Obtusiloba

pleecan

Lophophorates non polychaetes on Eusphenopteris obtusiloba. Found by Andrzej Gorski. Poland. Upper Silesia, Czarwionka City, Carboniferous, Westphalian 2011.

046b.jpg

Edited by pleecan

Very nice. I've seen those little guys before, but not with such detail.

Context is critical.

You my friend are really into your worms these days!!!!!!!!

I like looking at the odd ball type of fossils :D

Dr Jakob Vinther commented "You should know that this is most likely not a spirorbid. Its most likely not even a polychaete. Tubeworms did not originate until later presumably, and studies have shown that these "spirorbids" have a shell microstructure that resemble more lophophorates, such as brachiopods funny enough. Hederelloids are part of the same story and if you are friends with Mark A. Wilson he might be able to give you more insights to these little enigmatic marvels." and concurred by DR of ROM.

Further more... got another comment from Jakob: " Yeah. its a new development within the last 5 years. I saw a talk by Mark in 2006 about the Hederelloids and remebered that this also were relevant for the spirorbids, but now that I look in Google Scholar I see that the paper was published by Taylor and Vinn in 2006: Convergent morphology in small spiral worm tubes ('Spirorbis') and its palaeoenvironmental implications. J. geol. Soc."

Hi Pleecan, I just read a very nice manuscript on this exact topic ...

here's a link to the abstract, if you want the full article just send me a PM

http://jgs.lyellcollection.org/content/163/2/225.short

... afterwich I had to relabel all of the 'spirorbis' in the collection, fortunately we only have around twenty nodules with these so far. The preservation on your specimen is spectacular! Congrats on a great find.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Hi Pleecan, I just read a very nice manuscript on this exact topic ...

here's a link to the abstract, if you want the full article just send me a PM

http://jgs.lyellcoll...163/2/225.short

... afterwich I had to relabel all of the 'spirorbis' in the collection, fortunately we only have around twenty nodules with these so far. The preservation on your specimen is spectacular! Congrats on a great find.

Thanks ! I just sent you a pm :)

Ha ...

'Lophophorates Non Polychaetes On Eusphenopteris Obtusiloba'

... awesome :)

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Thanks for another interesting topic of discussion and follow-up ID on this fossil... Congrats Peter! :)

Thanks Scott! It is quite a convoluted discussion :D ...

Dr. Joe Botting responded " These ones are normally called spiroboids instead of spirorbids nowadays, and thr group as a whole are microconchids. It appears that the tubes that look just like serpulids stuck to our Ordovician nautiloids fall into the same category... and the group also probably includes the mysterious tentaculitids.

The group actually carries on into the Jurassic, I believe, but are then replaced by the modern groups. It's all very confusing. Here are a couple of papers you might be interested in, available open access:

http://www.eap.ee/public/Estonian_Journa....9-4-286-296.pdf

http://www.app.pan.pl/archive/published/app39/app39-001.pdf

Enjoy. "

Dr Mark A Wilson commented " Very interesting specimen. It does appear to be some sort of microconchid, although with that distinctive ornamentation it is unlike any I've yet seen. "