First Trip Of The Year

ghost1066

It was too nice today to sit around and I really needed to get out of the house. Thanks to JimB88 I had a new spot to head to about an hour from home. He told me about a nice outcrop of the Hermitage formation that was easy to acess and had some good hunting. After a bit of a cold start to the day it warmed up and I headed out to see what was what. Along the drive I found several more locations to hunt when I get the chance to go back. These include a couple of more that the Hermitage is showing and I bet have never been hunted. I will have to get Jim to drive over for a trip to them.

post-6331-0-79539900-1327878259_thumb.jpg

I go to the location, parked and walked over to the cliff face. Right at the bottom I found a large hashplate covered in critters, later it found its' way to the back of the truck. I took a few pics then walked over to what we were calling the grey area and the first rock I looked at had this in it. My first cephalon :D . After that it took me a little while to get my eyes used to seeing the fossils but eventually got down to finding some things. Everything here is new to me so I will be posting them to the ID section for some help.

post-6331-0-35912200-1327878309_thumb.jpg

post-6331-0-76811400-1327878358_thumb.jpg

You can see the hill has had some slides recently from all of the rain in our area which should add to what we can find at the base of the cliff. Since we should have a couple of months with more rain I think we will see more slides before the heat stablizes it for the summer. I didn't spend much time in the area of the slides since it was a little muddy but still found plenty to make the trip worth it. Hopefully I will get back to this area to add to my collection since I have very little from this formation.

post-6331-0-80247000-1327878410_thumb.jpg

that looks like a great exposure Tommy, glad you found some nice spots, and WTG on your first ceph too!

what's the age of this site/formation?

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

that looks like a great exposure Tommy, glad you found some nice spots, and WTG on your first ceph too!

what's the age of this site/formation?

This is Ordovician, Mississippian so if I remember right (which might be a stretch) this is Carboniferous.

Thanks everyone. Have several firsts I am trying to get IDs for.

Wish I had some exposed rock like that around here... I'd love to take a short drive and find a few bugs!

WhVUieh.png
My attempt at creating a museum and community center to help people find an interest in the world around them.

Wish I had some exposed rock like that around here... I'd love to take a short drive and find a few bugs!

Clayton:

You aren't that far from tons of bugs yourself! The arbuckles mtns on I-35 will get you bugs, as well as in Gore. Ada has some incredible pennsylvannian (320 mya) outcrops that produce very nice ammonites.

Gore will also reward you with pennsylvanian shark teeth as well.

Good Luck!