Visited The Peace Again

SharkLee

Took the family to the Peace River again. Saturday and Sunday were very nice days. Temperature was about 70 degrees and slightly breezy. Went out of Gardner.

The water was low, clear and cold. The current was fairly slow and not much of a problem. Did I mention the water was cold? I have a poor man's solution....tough it out until the legs and feet go numb....then it's no problem!

Boat traffic was non-existant. I actually saw only 2 other fellow screeners the whole weekend. The combination of low water, cool breezes and COLD water must have the masses beaten back, for the time being.

We usually use the ole "Bone Collector" Ganoe with the trolling motor to go upstream a couple miles and start prospecting. This time, however, we decided to go downstream towards Brownsville.

Turns out that we didn't have to do much walking because the water in that direction was still floatable. It did make finding the gravel flats a bit more difficult. Once located though, we were immediately in the action. I tried two of the standard tactics....find a hole someone had abandoned and go deeper or probe around until gravel is felt below the sand. Both tactics worked for me.

Average depth in the sand/gravel was 2 ft. My rule of thumb is when I have to hold my breath to reach the spade, I've gone juuussst deep enough.

Since my wife and youngest like to find the small teeth as much as the big stuff, I set up my 2-screen system and started digging.

med_gallery_3406_842_133754.jpg

We found several small Megs and some really heartbreaking frags. (Pics to follow when I get the camera operational). Also some Hemis and the usual horse teeth, turtle shell, armodillo plates and gator teeth.

Just wanted to share that the rivers are low here in Fla and there's no time like the present to get out there.

Anyone else, getting out there?

A good day hunting is, well..... a GOOD DAY.

Sounds like yall had a great day cannot wait to see some of what yall found... I am itching to get back out myself. Maybe one of these trips down to Fl I can get into the Peace myself..:) Great report thanks for sharing. :) Jeff/Tarheel

Forgot to mention......if one of the readers here is the gentleman who was screening near us and witnessed my fall......those details are best left untold.

My wife is still giggling over that one. Suffice it to say, that holes are not only easy to fall into....they are also easy to fall out of!!!!!

Let's just say I stumbled on the edge of my hole and tried to correct my falling advance for at least 6 steps before splashdown!!!! I must say that when I decide to fall, i do it with the proper style!!! Keep in mind, other than the holes, the gravel flat was shin deep!!!!! Embarrassing!!! I didn't even break a leg or hip or anything....

It's nice to see the Peace is still producing.Haven't been for some time.Last time out,I pulled some mammoth material out of my honey hole while diving.Can't wait to see your pictures.

Bear-dog.

What a nice set up ....i like the way you made your screens... 2 weeks ago i was at the peace for the first time its a very beautiful river not like the potomac river up here in virginia..

made 2 trips at gardner went up river, made first trip at wauchula,,, and one canoe trip at arcadia....hope to see you put up more pics....

Looks like you had a great time. Cant wait to see your finds!

Sorry guys. Having a devil of a time uploading the pics. Not sure if it's me or my computer. Will try again later.

Well if you can't get those pics up there's only one thing to do....go back again this weekend and take more!!!

Edited by obsessed1

OK......finally got the computer rolling.

Here's a few for now........

This tooth....I believe it to be a tooth, is interesting. Unlike the gator teeth we found over the 2 days, this one had considerable length and the inner core still had pieces in matrix....next pic....

med_gallery_3406_1323_64710.jpg

med_gallery_3406_1323_5420.jpg

Some of the megs.....not optimum pieces, but great for us newbies.....

med_gallery_3406_1323_16830.jpg

med_gallery_3406_1323_104335.jpg

med_gallery_3406_1323_55833.jpg

Edited by SharkLee

More pics.....

med_gallery_3406_1323_90468.jpg

Horse teeth....a little rougher than the norm....

med_gallery_3406_1323_21840.jpg

Gator tooth with a cavity.....note matrix still in cavity.

med_gallery_3406_1323_97405.jpg

Deer antler with amazing detail..... see below angle....

med_gallery_3406_1323_23903.jpg

med_gallery_3406_1323_68288.jpg

Day one's sampling.....minus the Dugong ribs and turtle shell stuff......

med_gallery_3406_1323_58269.jpg

Almost forgot the samples of smaller stuff.......

Day 2 stuff........

med_gallery_3406_1323_47333.jpg

This one shows some garfish scales with interesting colors.....

med_gallery_3406_1323_20571.jpg

Small verts and micro teeth....these my wife and youngest like to find....

med_gallery_3406_1323_88027.jpg

This the general take of day 2.

Now the below may be nothing......but it was very cool.....it almost appears to be a leathery egg crushed in matrix. When I have time, I'll try to get better pics.....it's small and still has matrix around, but cool.

gallery_3406_1323_85229.jpg

Edited by SharkLee

Cool set-up for the screens and what a great way to spend time with the family.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Soon, we will be there soon ;)

This is the time of year to go.....as soon as the rains hit, it's only good for canoeing...which ain't a bad a thing, but you don't get dirt under the fingernails that way! :-) . I am actually considering this weekend.... checking the weather.... B)

Good assortment. I like the screen setup... when I hunt the Peace, I use one of those foldout stands they use in restaurants to put my screen on. It's pretty simple, but it's effective and easy to relocate.

Lloyd that's a good idea. I've actually been thinking of design mods to make it more compact on the boat. The legs sticking up have gotten in the way of paddle swings. Packing now to head out!!!

Report to follow.....

......................Packing now to head out!!!

Report to follow.....

Happy to report we made it back in, Would have been sooner but my little ganoe was pressed into service to pull a broke down john boat and its crew of three back to the ramp over 1.5 miles. It was slow going upriver, and I must say my trolling motor did me proud.

Some cool stuff found......couple mediocre megs, many small teeth, horse teeth, and one really cool jaw madible with teeth that looks like a very small rodent or shrew type critter. Am worn out and deciding if Im going back tomorrow....muscle aches, sore backs and super bowl timing will have much weight on the decision. Will post pics of finds soon.