Pics Of Spined Echinoids

Hipockets

Ok everyone here are some pics after we removed them from the cluster of oysters.The first pic is the cluster.We will post more as we progress. Plax, dont worry , its our secret.post-7268-0-65071000-1327969798_thumb.jpgpost-7268-0-02175700-1327969922_thumb.jpg

Edited by mark mckoy

thanks for the corrected spelling Al! Was shooting from the hip yesterday without seeing the pics. Nice raft of Flemingostrea Mark. That oyster was described from an exposure on the NE Cape Fear River (or just upstream on a small trib) in our county. You can get some nice singles under Croome's Bridge at low water.

Indy, rare but not unknown in the loose arenite of the Rocky Point Member of the late Cretaceous Peedee formation. Wish I could cite the paper in Southeastern Geology but do my internet from work away from the lit. Will try to add it to this thread later.

2007, Charles N. Ciampaglio and Patricia Weaver, Maastrichtian (Cretaceous) Regular Echinoids from the Rocky Point Member, Peedee Formation Southeastern North Carolina, Southeastern Geology, Volume 45, No. 1, June 2007

2007, Charles N. Ciampaglio and Patricia Weaver, Maastrichtian (Cretaceous) Regular Echinoids from the Rocky Point Member, Peedee Formation Southeastern North Carolina, Southeastern Geology, Volume 45, No. 1, June 2007

Thanks for the reference :)

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Indy, I am open to suggestions. All I did so far was a vinegar soak, then baking soda/ water soak to neutralize, they have since been soaking in water and I pick away a little bit each day trying not to get to aggresive.I dont think air tools or acids are worth the risk ?Any ideas?

Thanks.

Indy, I am open to suggestions. All I did so far was a vinegar soak, then baking soda/ water soak to neutralize, they have since been soaking in water and I pick away a little bit each day trying not to get to aggresive.I dont think air tools or acids are worth the risk ?Any ideas?

Thanks.

Asking for suggestions how to prep a fossil opens a can of worms.

This is YOUR fossil and I'm not going to suggest how YOU should or should not

prepare it. One thing I will say...A discussion on this subject would be a good idea

if your not comfortable with continued preparation ;)

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Everyone, please flood me with advice, what and how would you go about cleaning and preserving this ,if it was yours. Or would you leave it as is?

One thing I wouldn't do is use ANY acid. Echinoid tests and spines are calcium carbonate. Easily dissolved in acid.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

One drop of WC acid followed by running water works with other echies from the same formation/mine, but in this case you risk to separate spines from echinoid.

Try to work with a gentle brush

Here Diana's half spiny echinoid from Castle Hayne, I don't understand why she doesn't even let me touch the specimen :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:;):P

post-1112-0-45336900-1328211212_thumb.jpg

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Interesting specimens.. I don't know how loosely consolidated the matrix is, it appears loose and sandy - If it's loose enough, then probably just a needle/pin might work, though it would take time. Sometimes there are no quick and easy solutions, and the best thing is lots of time and patience and a steady hand. Ever played 'Operation'? ;)