How Would You Clean And Treat A Spined Echinoid?

Hipockets

post-7268-0-02175700-1327969922_thumb.jpg

post-7268-0-48231400-1327970168_thumb.jpg

Help ! Ok, I have soaked these spined echinoids in vinegar for a couple of hours and then over night in baking soda/water, and now they are soaking in fresh water. Everynight I scratch away at these things with a wood toothpick, careful not to lose any spines. I have never used acids on fossils and dont think air tools would be the thing to do in this situation, because they are so fragile.The concretion around the ech and between the spines is almost like cement? Is patience and a gentle hand the way to go? If anyone has ideas please lets hear them. Thanks all.

Edited by mark mckoy

Great find! I will offer up for consideration my humble opinion and I base this opinion on my limited experience with prepping and exposing fossils and the much welcomed advice of a couple of more experienced fossil guys here on the forum, 'don't be to anxious to expose something that may or may not be there!' Besides that, it is a beautiful specimen as is and to damage it by trying to furthur expose it would be unfortunate at best, disasterous at worst. I have been hasty at times and have regretted it later. Another forum member here told me something once that has stuck with me and it's real simple, "You can't replace matrix, once it is gone, it is gone." Either way and whatever you decide to do, good luck and remember, this is just my opinion! :)

(edit) I just noticed there was no picture included with this post. If you go to the 'my media' tab at the top of the editor box, you can insert the pictures that you have uploaded previously and not have to upload them again! :)

Edited by Kehbe

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Mark...

It gets confusing and hard to follow stuff when you create a new post regarding

the same fossil instead of just continuing on the same thread. Your question

should have been a reply on the other thread Link ;)

Edited by Indy

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show