Holasters, Salenia, Ammos And Other Fossils

BobC

Hey Guys

Last weekend I had a great hunt and made this video of what I caught! I am very curious as to the identity of the Salenia I found amidst a bunch of Eo ammonites (see Fossil ID thread). Enjoy:

What a great hunting spot!!!! Wish I could help identify....

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

I always have fun exploring.

Hey Roz--In other goat news--from a few weeks ago:

I was out in the hill country west of Temple last month where there were very few people. I just came around a corner out on this country road, minding my own business, when I realized a puzzled-looking goat was blocking my way. He only had one ear! The damned goat was just wandering in the road, acting lost, looking a bit ridiculous with only one ear, so I just stopped my car and got out to see if he'd let me catch him. He did! I put him in my car but once I started driving, be became unruly and kept trying to climb into the front seat, at one point almost taking my eye out with one of his horns! So here I was, driving down this winding hillbilly road, while simultaneously fending off a 50 lb goat. He wasn't attacking, I think he was just scared being in a car. I started looking for a ranch with goats, hoping my new cloven hoofed friend would give me some signal when I found his home, ala Lassie or Flipper, but no such luck. The poor thing was dumb as a board. . There were maybe five houses on this country road, so it wasn't hard to narrow it down. Unfortunately, all the ranches out there have locked gates/fences around them--so I couldn't talk to anybody. I eventually found a ranch with goats that looked like my new friend, so I picked him up and put him over the fence.

THEN I was driving along on my merry way on the same road, and I saw this huge pasture with lots of cows in the distance, but one cow was close to the road, away from the herd--which is unusual. I thought something was wrong with it--and then I realized it was giving birth! It had two hoofs sticking out of its Easy Bake Oven! The cow seemed like it was having difficulty, so I backed up and the cow got spooked, stood up, and sucked the calf back in!!!!! I didn't even know they could do that! THEN, I realized that there were dozens of vultures on the ground around the main herd, which I've never seen before, and that usually means cows are dying. I was going to tell the rancher but once again there was a fence and a locked gate. I drove a little ways down the road and saw two snaggle toothed hillbillies, working on a car that was up on cinder blocks (it was very Deliverance), so I stopped and asked if they knew the rancher on the other side of the road. They didn't! I was thinking, howcan there be one house every five miles and you don't know who your nearest neighbor is? I explained that from seeing the cows in such a bad state with vultures hovering, that maybe they'd been abandoned, or maybe the rancher had a heart attack or something. One of the goobers just looked at me and said "Yeah, he might be dead" and then just started working on the car again! Life is CHEAP with these Out Yonder People. There was a little girl there, too, and I had to fight myself from asking if she was a child bride!!!!

Ahhhh--the adventures you have while fossil hunting....

Was there banjo music in the background? I swear I've heard it a few times when I was out in the middle of nowhere...

Maybe it's just me...

Hahhaha....Country life.....what else can I say :)

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

Yes--the theme from Deliverance was coming out of every stereo! Before anyone thinks I am a busy body, interfering with people's ranches, I must state here that this is the first and only time I ever tried to contact a rancher about his animals. Except for the time in Salado when I discovered a prize bull in the middle of the road--the owner was so thrilled that his steer wasn't hit by a car, that he allowed me to come and hunt on his property. See? Even someone as sinister as I occasionally gets soem good kharma stored up!

One of the funnier stories from "The Adventures of Bob in Texas" show! :D Good thing you did you didn't stop for the BBQ! (hears chainsaw whirring in the background......).

Mikey I seem to be a goat drama magnet. Those and llamas. This weekend, however, I had longhorn issues and a run in with a boxer dog that kept jumping up on me and hugging me with her front paws. I took a bunch of Cub Scouts out fossil hunting on a ranch in the Stiener Ranch subdivision and one of the longhorns kept following me around and nudging me with it's head. I wasn't sure why it was obsessed with me, given it had plenty of smaller easier prey (the Cub Scouts), but it never left my side until we went to another location. I wasn't sure if it was being aggressive, was hungry, or if it wanted to engage in something unnnatural with me. Either way, I wasn't interested! I led the little scouts to a hill that looked promising, and we found a bunch of porocytistis, heart urchins, snails and Loreolias. The kids had a good time, despite the fact that it started sleeting really hard and our hands got so cold they started to feel and look like crab claws!

Thanks for posting, I always like those echinoids, both the heart urchins and the cidaroids(?).

For those of us outside your area, You explained that 'Mort' is Mortoniceras - what ammo is it that you are referring to as an "Eo"? Just a guess: Eopachydiscus?