Sulpher River?

trempie4

I hear so much about the Sulpher River. Looks like I might be in Dallas in a few weeks. Exactly where is the Sulpher in relation to the DFW area? I know its a river so its long and winding, but how far from DFW are we talking about?

Thanks All....

Joe...

(evolution ROCKS....)

I live just north of DFW airport in Flower Mound, and it takes me 1hr 15 mins from my door to the city limits of Ladonia where you have access to 3 different bridges within about a 5 min drive.

"Long and winding" as a searching tool would make looking for the North Sulphur River very hard. On a map it looks like a road! Years ago it was channellized by the Corps to make farming along it more predictable. This is one reason it's so good for fossiling. The water gets moving so fast after a good rain and no bends to slow it down that lots of new material gets washed out. Judging by how much of the bridge pillers used to be underground, the bed is many feet lower than when built! Look for a straight white line running east to the north of Ladonia on a map without a road number on it.

THanks Guys, so literally, park by a bridge and start wading / walking if the water level is low enough?

Joe...

(evolution ROCKS....)

THanks Guys, so literally, park by a bridge and start wading / walking if the water level is low enough?

Yep. That is pretty much it. Usually the further from any bridge you can get, the better the collecting. Also, the side creeks tend to be better collecting, but entering them brings the private property thing into play. I know some of the land owners don't like folks being in those creeks. The entrance to many of them is posted. One word of caution, if rain is in the forecast be very careful. As BobWill mentioned, the water moves very fast. It also rises very quickly. If it rains on the west end of the river, watch out!

Depending upon your flexibility, some of the banks can be tricky. We carry a rope with us to help get back up the bank for a couple of places. Walking sticks are also quite handy, especially if things are muddy.

Anna and John

SE Oklahoma

____________________________________________________________________________________

"Life is an occasion, rise to it."

--Mr. Magorium, "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium"

http://​www.johnsdiscoveries.com

Thanks Roz. Not sure I can make it out there but if it works out I'll be thrilled.......

Joe...

(evolution ROCKS....)

And don't forget to visit Paris Texas for Dinner and Lodging

:blink: Beleive me there is no good place to eat in this town and the hotels aren't that special either. We do have an eiffel tower though that has a big red cowboy hat on top and that's about as special as Paris gets. If it weren't for the Sulpur and other spots to hunt around here I would have lost my mind a long time ago. :P

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

There's a good seafood buffet along the North Sulphur River there somewhere... The locals can probably tell you the name.

Honestly, though, the North Sulphur River can be a difficult place to find a fossil these days. If I was going to hunt it again, I would go in at the Eastern most Ladonia bridge leaving another car at the Gober bridge, and walk straight through. Unfortunately it's about a 6.5 mile hike, and right now it would be VERY VERY muddy. However most North Sulphur River hunters dont hit the area between these bridges nearly as hard as the rest of the North Sulphur River.

I live in Greenville, TX and am pretty near the North Sulphur River. Let me know when you are in town and ready to hit the river. I would be happy to take you out there if you like.

Jon

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."

Thanks Jon,

If I make it out there it will probably in the late morning or early afternoon mid-week. While a tour guide would be fantastic, most people have to work which I fully understand! If you can make it that would be beyond generous. If not, at least there will be someone close by who can claim the body....

Joe

Edited by trempie4

Joe...

(evolution ROCKS....)