Tools For Preparing Small Fossil Specimens

Jdeutsch

Two general questions

1) Wondering what airscribes are good for home preparation of specimens, and information on reliable dealers? I really liked some of the specimens posted here-like this month's trilobite from Squalicorax. I'd like to see what I could accomplish.

2) Has anyone used dilute or concentrated nitric acid for cleaning iron oxides off of specimens? There have previously been postings regarding HCl (muriatic acid) with good results in dolomite, as well as weaker organic acids. I'm playing with vaious mixures and concentrations of acetic/hydrochloric/nitric acid to take debris off of plates. (HNO3) I assume that this has been worked out a million times by others. pH too low and specimen is toast, pH too high and it takes another geologic age for results. I've been working at 2N to 0.001 N. Mostly not doing damage. I've dissolved a few rocks by accident (see HCl)- but none had anything of interest. The more boring the rock, the lower the pH.

post-7729-0-96583700-1328466655_thumb.jpg

post-7729-0-86922600-1328466672_thumb.jpg

I

d say keep experimenting with the acids. But if you need a small airscribe, PaleoTools is the place to get it. I think the url is simply paleotools.com