Sandbags For Prepping

ghost1066

I saw someone post about sandbags for prepping and how to make them so I thought I would pass along how I do it. I got this idea years ago and it is simple, inexpensive plus they last. So here we go.

Pretty much everyone has an old pair of jeans laying around. Take them and cut a foot or so off the bottom of each leg. Turn the piece inside out and sew one end closed and the other end sew as much as possible and still be able to turn it right side out again. This will leave you a hole to add your fine grained sand. When it is filled as much as you want turn the raw seam in and finish sewing closed. Viola, sandbags. I have filled a few with bubble wrap at times to make light weight bags but sand is more stable.

A sewing machine makes this easier but I can do them by hand in just a few minutes. I do run at least two rows of stitches across to ensure they don't leak.

There you have it another DIY project brought to you by the makers of jeans and sand. Well not really it was just me.

post-6331-0-11074400-1328474691_thumb.jpg

Great idea and simple too. For those surrounded by clay instead of sand, rice should work just as well. (just don't cook it first)

Nice sandbags... I'm a big fan of Crown Royal bags. The one thing that I find hlpful in making sandbags is don;t fill them all the way up. Only 1/2 to 3/4 full is good cuz then you can manipulate the sand to nest your project in it.