Best 1 Hour Ever Hunting! Site Pics Included - Austin Chalk

surfergirlatx

When someone says "saving the best for last", they usually have only one more.... ;)

You have merely found only the weathered 'low hanging fruit' so far. I'd think there'd be much more lurking in there. How workable is that rock?

Well...this creek goes on for a ways...and I only had an hour...and I was alone and a bit scared of the sounds coming from the brush banks and under the rocks....so I was cautious to always be looking over my shoulder. I CANT WAIT TO GO BACK! I only covered about 1% of whats to be found there....unreal....Wish I could have stayed longer...but again...being a girl and all alone....didnt wanna get hurt...oh and there is no cell phone signal there. Gurrrr!!!!

Edited by surfergirlatx

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

I went to a new location today in Willaimson County, Austin Chalk - Cretaceous wonderland I will call it!

Here are a few site pics, before we get into all the goodies I found!!!

WOW, just WOW!!!

post-6873-0-85173200-1328927833_thumb.jpg

post-6873-0-40563500-1328927840_thumb.jpg

post-6873-0-17040200-1328927846_thumb.jpg

post-6873-0-88253900-1328927852_thumb.jpg

post-6873-0-63749600-1328927858_thumb.jpg

What a landscape....

I can imagine my 8-year-old self there with my Star Wars action figures. I could reenact all the Tatooine scenes. :)

Context is critical.

What a landscape....

I can imagine my 8-year-old self there with my Star Wars action figures. I could reenact all the Tatooine scenes. :)

I never thought of that...but yes the landscape would be PERFECT for that!!!

Those are huge! What a find!!! :Bananasaur:

you found all that in 1 hr??? Ive gotta convince my wife to vacation in Texas

Thank you! and yes that was only an hour and alone, but I had the BEST time!!! Scary at times but soooo worth it!!! Seems like things are BIGGER in Texas :)

Wow! Awesome hunt! I usually find 20 ammonites for every nautioid, you seem to have found 'loid heaven :)

The one in pictures 34 through 38 it looks like the body chamber is there since the sutures for the boyancy chambers seem to stop with a hlaf whorl in place after that for the body. Also the difference in the complexity of septa in the ammos and nautiloids shows up well by comparing picture 22 with the septum in the ammonite.

I think the cat wants to publish a paper on some of those specimens.

edit: I noticed what you're calling a chamber is actually the septum or chamber wall that seperates the chambers. Sometimes you can find an individual chamber. It would be fairly thin with a septum on each side.

Edited by BobWill

"I can has naughtyloids?"

Context is critical.

Wow! Awesome hunt! I usually find 20 ammonites for every nautioid, you seem to have found 'loid heaven :)

The one in pictures 34 through 38 it looks like the body chamber is there since the sutures for the boyancy chambers seem to stop with a hlaf whorl in place after that for the body. Also the difference in the complexity of septa in the ammos and nautiloids shows up well by comparing picture 22 with the septum in the ammonite.

edit: I noticed what you're calling a chamber is actually the septum or chamber wall that seperates the chambers. Sometimes you can find an individual chamber. It would be fairly thin with a septum on each side.

Thank you so much BobWill for that explination. Helps greatly! Here is a pic of the ammonite chamber I found last week..that I had no clue what it was..

post-6873-0-83503100-1328933149_thumb.jpg

Great "1 hour" :) fossil hunt

Really neat to hunt a fossiliferous site and not see foot prints of other fossil hunters :P

Oh there were "hunter" footprints...just not human ones :) Some really scary one with long finger nails...and cows of course, deer....and several other I could not identify....none of which were human....It was like being on some other planet. Amazing.

"I can has naughtyloids?"

That dang cat is always trying to do office work...I cannot tell you how many scanners and printer I have bee thru all because of her.....she apparently like to watch the paper come out and catch it...over and over and over...and she somehow can always hit the power on button! It drives me crazy! Maybe she is trying to publish a fossil summary for her peer group. :)

Wow, Kim! That looks like lots of fun. Congratulations!

Thanks Taffie! It was so much fun!!!!

not common here in NJ Id love to find any of them :)

I will be happy to mail you one, if you can tell me how to extract them without breaking them :)

Kim

That dang cat is always trying to do office work...

One time, my brother's cat deleted most of my emails. All it took was a paw on the 'delete' key, and FFFFFFFFFWP.... gone.

Context is critical.

Cool finds. You might compare your large ammonite portion to one of the Parapuzosia species (maybe P. americana). They can get huge in the upper parts of the Austin Chalk. I've seen partials with a five foot diameter. :o

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Cool finds. You might compare your large ammonite portion to one of the Parapuzosia species (maybe P. americana). They can get huge in the upper parts of the Austin Chalk. I've seen partials with a five foot diameter. :o

Ummm...wow! I just did an image search for Parapuzosia and um....my goodness!!! Can you just imagine finding one of those HUGE ones!!! WOW!!!!! I can hardly close my jaw!

post-6417-0-57797300-1328935723_thumb.jpg

:P

OH.....Not quite the answer I was looking for Indy!!!! ahahahha :fainting-smiley:

Sweet ... I want one ;)

]

They are really amazing creatures!!!

Amazing finds surfergirlatx !!! Nautiloids are ones of my favorite fossils (echinoids are still number 1 :P )...Regards :)

I would also have to agree with you on that statement!!!! TOTALLY!!!!

Edited by surfergirlatx

Awesome finds! Don't apologize for being excited for finding such a great site. I just wish I had something like that in my neck of the woods. Or at least be closer to where you are so I could offer to help! ;)

Hello Kim.

Congratulation for your best findplace and these nice fossils.

of course there are nautiloids. the ammonite-fragment with ribbs and spines? are maybe an coligoniceras sp.

If so, then your findplace provides deposits fron the lower turonian.

Look for the really big ones, they comes from this layer.

i mean ammonites more than 20" in diameter.

Thanks for showig Kim.

Karl

post-7943-0-17325800-1328951257_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grenzton

I want to die sleeping like my grandfather, not screaming like his passenger!

Hi,

Kim, the mineral inside nautiloides n° 14 & 15 is calcite (CaCo3).

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg