Peace 2012

peacefossil

My first chance to make it out this weekend. Forecast called for early rain and clouds most of the day. High of 60.

Went out with shellseeker. Missed going with Meghunter Chris on a cancellation. Ended up being very windy (Glad I had a wetsuit on!)

Found a nice spot of river waist deep in spots, but mostly knee deep. After a top silt layer came off the river spirits were shining. I did have to give back my biggest fragledon at 3+ inches, but well worth it.

Thanks for hooking us up on a great spot!

On to the pictures...

post-505-0-32406700-1329092931_thumb.jpg

post-505-0-03686300-1329092948_thumb.jpg

Nice finds, did you leave any in the river?? Great haul Peace thanks for sharing. Jeff/Tarheel

I actually used a large holed screen. Left most everything, just grabbed a few!

Had a great time with Peacefossil -- We were going to a "known" spot, but it was half prospecting for a good spot and good gravel. It turns out that we lucked out. The gravel was seemingly undisturbed and about 2-3 feet over a bed of clay. You still had to find "honey holes" and PeaceFossil certainly did -- first for tigers, then for Hemis -- for a while he was pulling them out left and right.

The day was cold -- much colder than the temperature, because for most of the day, the sun stayed behind clouds, and the wind was whistling down the river -- Wetsuits were a must, and even with them on, I was shivering a lot..

I went out again today, which is why I am late in responding.

I have posted 3 oddball finds in the ID section from Saturday, but here is the picture of the odd mammal that each of us found. I have not seen a tooth like this, but as PF indicates, some have said it is a Bison pre-molar. If so, can anyone ID the position? --

It was my best find of the day.. SS

post-2220-0-29144400-1329095914_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Sounds and looks like you guys had a great time and a good day!!

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Shellseeker: I don't think this is a Bison pre-molar. I suppose extreme wear could be responsible but I'm not seeing the structure I would associate with a Bison tooth. My first idea was Llama, but I don't think that is correct either. I did a search on TFF and found this picture posted last year by Harry Pristis in response to another of your finds... perhaps it will help.

post-7250-0-42520300-1329148126.jpg

I

Shellseeker: I don't think this is a Bison pre-molar. I suppose extreme wear could be responsible but I'm not seeing the structure I would associate with a Bison tooth. My first idea was Llama, but I don't think that is correct either. I did a search on TFF and found this picture posted last year by Harry Pristis in response to another of your finds... perhaps it will help.
I'll post mine up as well from a few angles. Almost positive mine matches up to Bison. I won't be able to until tonight though

Lloyd, Thanks for the analysis. I have found a couple of interesting websites> Look at (figure 15) P4 on this site:http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/vertpaleo/resources/fossil_id/art_id.htm Similar tooth to the one I have found. Look at the 5th photo down on this Fred Mazza website: http://www.paleodiscoveries.com/Bison.html

The real problem that I have is that my tooth is so pristine that it is hard to believe it has tumbled in the river for 10000 years, and I know that cows have almost the exact dentation as Bison .. I am hopeful that Harry or PrehistoricFlorida will see this thread and comment on the tooth.. SS

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

SS: earlier today while trying to figure it out I looked at the Fred Mazza website but I did not look at the UF site and realize now I should have tried them first. That tooth to the right of Figure 15 could be the same as one you found but it would be good if Harry weighed in.

That tooth did not tumble in the river for many years if any. From the looks of it, I'd say it has only recently weathered out of the banks. I mentioned this on at least one other thread, but the best condition teeth I ever found was in Possum Creek in Gainesville the Spring after the year we had those four hurricanes (2004 I think); I came upon a pile of gravel where the bank had collapsed from all the rain and the dirt had washed out... as I remember the ratio was 15 perfect teeth to every broken one. At any rate, since these teeth are so fragile... mostly when I find complete ones I suspect they haven't been rolling down the river for very long.

couple more. This is the tooth I found not six feet from SS.

Added a few of my baby Meg finds as well.

post-505-0-39066600-1329182634_thumb.jpg

post-505-0-25876900-1329182647_thumb.jpg

Nice stuff. You had a good day for sure. In your first set of pictures, the one on the left certainly looks the same as the one SS found. Looking at the pictures I posted from Harry though, I just don't think these are Bison Pre-Molars.... the shape is certainly the same but, in Harry's picture there is structure that is raised up <sorry, no idea what this would be called> that neither your tooth nor SSs tooth has. I've "known" Harry for quite a few years through more than one of these online forums and trust his identifications without reservation so, if I were you, I'd PM him with the link to this thread to get his input.

@Peacefossil - Great finds wish I could of made it out.

"One of these day's I'm going to find a tooth over 3inches."

Nice stuff. You had a good day for sure. In your first set of pictures, the one on the left certainly looks the same as the one SS found. Looking at the pictures I posted from Harry though, I just don't think these are Bison Pre-Molars.... the shape is certainly the same but, in Harry's picture there is structure that is raised up that neither your tooth nor SSs tooth has. I've "known" Harry for quite a few years through more than one of these online forums and trust his identifications without reservation so, if I were you, I'd PM him with the link to this thread to get his input.
understood.

For clarity those that I posted are all the same tooth just changed the view to maximize the chance of ID. Would be nice to get a confirmation from a trusted source.

@Peacefossil - Great finds wish I could of made it out.
Missed out! Looks like you had fun diving though. My back is starting to return to normal today! :D