Bird Brain Endocast

Auspex

In acquiring this specimen, I achieved one of my long-held goals; these are not too common :)

post-423-0-76964000-1329157923_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks!

It's one of those ugly, lumpy fossils that wouldn't get a second look, until you know what it is; then it's "all aboard the imagination train!". They are fairly rare, too; I really like that sort of thing... ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

and nicely mineralized to boot, congrats Chas! :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

WOW, just fantastic... Is there anyway you could post larger pics? I would

really love to see it better.. There is no way that's ugly! I love brain

endocasts and brain material.. :wub:

Welcome to the forum!

Nice acquisition Chas.

Thanks; I have a hunch you've seen a few of these, yes?

... Is there anyway you could post larger pics?...

When my hard drive self-destructed, I was left with "Paint" :( ...

I might wind up with "Gimp", but "Picture It! 10" is what I'm used to; running XP limits my choices.

Thanks; I have a hunch you've seen a few of these, yes

Yeah 1 or 2 ;) Unfortunately I've never managed to collect one. They have all belonged to someone else. :( :greenwnvy:

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Have you looked at fossildan's gallery? He has practically cornered the world's supply! >LINK<

Wow, that is a great London Clay piece. The locals tend to hang onto something like that.

Nearly every other fossil brain cast I've seen has been from the Brule Formation and they have been mammals (either oreodont or Mesohippus). One of my friends has a few.

In acquiring this specimen, I achieved one of my long-held goals; these are not too common :)

post-423-0-76964000-1329157923_thumb.jpg

Edited by siteseer

Thanks!

It's one of those ugly, lumpy fossils that wouldn't get a second look, until you know what it is; then it's "all aboard the imagination train!". They are fairly rare, too; I really like that sort of thing... ;)

Congratulations, Chas, on this new excellent acquisition :sword:

It's truth that the moments we achieve our goals make our life more beautiful!!!! :rolleyes:

How right you are, as well, with your thought above that has to do with all of us fossil hunters.... ;):)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Extremely interesting...and congratulations :)

You wrote: It's one of those ugly, lumpy fossils that wouldn't get a second look,

until you know what it is; then it's "all aboard the imagination train!"

Brings to mind some mystery fossils which might represent brain endocasts

or fragments of brain endocasts :mellow:

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Have you looked at fossildan's gallery? He has practically cornered the world's supply! >LINK<

Yes I've seen his gallery, some nice specimens. I think he lives on Sheppey, or near.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Hi,

Chas, your fossil is so marvelous and rare... It deserves to contribute to the fossil of the month !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Hi,

Chas, your fossil is so marvelous and rare... It deserves to contribute to the fossil of the month !

Coco

Thanks Coco!

Since I did not find it myself, it does not qualify for the contest (which is reserved for our hard-working field collectors).

It's one of those ugly, lumpy fossils that wouldn't get a second look, until you know what it is; !". ...

AH the old 'bird brain' slur has become less painful. :D

WOW. That is really something special :wub:

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

OK Chas, I didn't seen that you didn't find it yourself ! I was dazzled by its rarity, hehehe !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

my wife should like to love brian material too, but despite my efforts, I have no remaining brian stuff to offer :wacko: :wacko:

My wife would like me to have some brain out of the ''stones'' ... :D

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

wonderful fossil, since joining the forum I have become fascinated with endocasts and yours is the first bird Ive ever seen, thanks for sharing :)

• 2 months later...

Hi Auspex, I'm guessing it must have been you that purchased the endocast from ebay then :) I trade under Ken.vic so it was me who sold you the endocast. Thanks for the smooth transaction, And im glad you like it :)

I had a hunch, but wasn't about to ask; good to know, and thanks!