Sharktooth Hill This Wekeend

jpc

Hey, are any of you FF folks going to Sharktooth hill this weekend? I'll be there. Tried to do this last year, but got rained out twice.

I wish I was! Good luck hunting!

What he said.

Double Ditto. Let us know how you do.

Edited by sixgill pete

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Since I joined...I've seen several posts of fossils found at the famous

Sharktooth Hill locality.

Since I've never been to this locality...and probably will never have the

opportunity...It would be very interesting to see pictures of the locality.

Not 1 or 2 followed by lots of images of found fossils...But several "Locality"

pics (more the better) to give me a since of place...Not all close ups of the

matrix...but several field photos and or even videos.

Maybe there was a fossil hunt post that meets the above criteria and

I just couldn't find it? Possibly there are some websites with lots of

locality pictures that I didn't find. Possibly some members could share

their locality pictures that would give me, and others, a sense of place.

:zzzzscratchchin:

Edited by Indy

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Absolutely NO rain this weekend. But we have improved the roads to allow access even when it does rain. We will never again cancel a dig due to rain... lighting and wild fires are a different story though.

I will take loads of pictures this weekend and place on our Facebook page.........I'm still trying to get the hang of posting them here on the forum....(maybe someone can give me a lesson or something),

Indy,

Keep in mind that there is a "Sharktooth Hill" but it is not open to collecting - not since about 1970. The sites you've read about are exposures of the same productive layer, the "Sharktooth Hill Bonebed," within the upper part of the Round Mountain Silt. The Ernst property contains several sites that were old collecting haunts even before Bob Ernst bought the land back in the 80's. Slow Curve is a name that was used at least as long ago as the 70's and I think the Snake Pit is another old name that continues to be used. There are other spots closer to the Kern River and even on Round Mountain Road and on surrounding properties but Bob was really the only one doing any quarrying and allowing others to dig as well (paleontologists, fossil collectors, universities and elementary school students, random people he'd meet on the street or in the museum). Surrounding landowners are generally cattle ranchers and none of them want to be bothered by fossil collectors.

There are several quarries some of which Bob opened but you might see signs of much older ones partly obscured by weeds. Bob used to dig test pits around his property with a good idea of where the old-timers had dug before.

The land is hilly and covered with grass in the spring. You will not notice any trees around the quarries. The grass dries out by the early summer when the 100-degree-plus days start so you feel like you're in a desert. The good news is that, like people, the rattlesnakes don't like direct sun either which also means you flip over anything flippable (stray pieces of cardboard, old tires, tarps, etc) very carefully or not at all.

You might hear a truck in the distance but it's quiet out there otherwise.

Jess

Since I joined...I've seen several posts of fossils found at the famous

Sharktooth Hill locality.

Since I've never been to this locality...and probably will never have the

opportunity...It would be very interesting to see pictures of the locality.

Not 1 or 2 followed by lots of images of found fossils...But several "Locality"

pics (more the better) to give me a since of place...Not all close ups of the

matrix...but several field photos and or even videos.

Maybe there was a fossil hunt post that meets the above criteria and

I just couldn't find it? Possibly there are some websites with lots of

locality pictures that I didn't find. Possibly some members could share

their locality pictures that would give me, and others, a sense of place.

:zzzzscratchchin: