Poc Today....poor Island Of Misfit Teeth

Raptordude1

I ventured back to sherman, TX for some post oak creek action. I've now been there a hand full of times since discovering my interest in fossils last fall. Found about ~200 teeth ( or more accurately, parts of teeth) but I didn't find nearly as many "whole" teeth as I usually do. Not many for the display case found today, but I still had a good time. I found a couple shark verts, one of which had a little matrix stuck to it with a shark tooth sitting right in the middle of it. Found a jaw piece with one tooth that I'll have to put on the ID forum. Found 2 big roots but alas no blade :( it is enough to make you cry when you spot the big tooth sticking out of the sand and discover it is only half of it's former beauty. I included my pile of misfit teeth (poor broken fragments) that I have collected over the past 5 trips to POC.

post-7449-0-19467500-1329538513_thumb.jpg

Raptordude,

It looks like you've still got some nice pieces in your "...pile of broken dreams". You might want to go through your pile occassionally to see if any pieces match up. On two separate occassions, I've found a piece of a broken tooth, then found the other piece on a different hunting trip. It's kind of like putting a puzzle together.

It might be a bit more difficult for you to do since you're hunting in a creek environment where the pieces may wash away, but it's always worth a shot. It also gives you something to do on a cold rainy day like today when you can't get out.

Also, love the vert with the attached tooth.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Thanks for the advise, I've thought about that a few times. At the very least I'm going to go through and try to seperate my pieces by species and put them in lots of seperate jars. I doubt there is much luck in finding matches from POC, since everything is so spread out. I may have to start going through my collection from other locations now that you've sparked my interest. Wish me luck! I liked the vert with the tooth as well, I think it's a cutie!

Thanks, that is the general concensus on my other post about that piece in the ID forum. I now believe it is a side cusp of a cretodus species.

I have a pile of "broken dreams" just like that from POC. After a few trips, I ended up buying a small apothecary jar to put them in, in an attempt to somehow display them. It's pile about the size of yours, but it only fills about 1/3 of the jar. Still, most people are pretty impressed when they see how many there are. Plus it keeps my 8-yr old motivated to keep digging while we're out there, even though he's only finding bits and pieces. "Gotta fill the jar......"

I have a pile of "broken dreams" just like that from POC. After a few trips, I ended up buying a small apothecary jar to put them in, in an attempt to somehow display them. It's pile about the size of yours, but it only fills about 1/3 of the jar. Still, most people are pretty impressed when they see how many there are. Plus it keeps my 8-yr old motivated to keep digging while we're out there, even though he's only finding bits and pieces. "Gotta fill the jar......"

That is a good idea about the jar....maybe when my son is older he will enjoy going with me :)

I no longer even pick up the brokes for the most part from POC. I used to pick them up and give them to my mom for the kids at school, but I picked up so many that she's got plenty for years and I have several bags left that I need to get rid of.

I have glass containers all around the house, but they have mainly rocks, shells, echinoids, etc. Each jar is from a certain location or trip too. It's any easy way to display items not worthy to go in a display case.

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!