How To Display Ptychodus Teeth

Foshunter

I have a thing for Ptychodus teeth but they are very difficult to display unless they are large and sit on a stand. The smaller ones when placed in a gem jar are pushed to the side view, my feeling is that they should be displayed with a top view. I know that there are ptychodus collectors that might have suggestions, would greatly appreciate any input---Tom

post-3940-0-87171400-1329598495_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

In the gem jars, instead of cotton try a ball of micro-crystalline ("museum") wax.

LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

My personal preference would also be Gem jars.

The primary reason is eye appeal as well a being projected from Ooooops :P

I have few gem jar cases to store/display small fossils. The foam can be cut

to reduce the thickness. I prefer foam backing so the fossil fits tightly inside

the jar. I've seen some who have replaced the foam with cotton.

I've found displaying as many fossils as possible under glass or in protected

cases is the best. Protects them, and of course, reduces the number of

"dust collectors" on display :)

When all is said and done...

displays must appeal to the eye of the collector.

BTW there is a thread on our forum: Show Us Your Showcases!

which may give you some other ideas: LINK

Edited by Indy

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

In the gem jars, instead of cotton try a ball of micro-crystalline ("museum") wax.

LINK

Thanks Auspex, that is a great idea and at the Home Depot, who would have thought it--Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

At the Tucson shows early this month I saw a few dealers display small fossils on small acrylic cubes with a little of that white tack as a temporary adhesive.

I have a thing for Ptychodus teeth but they are very difficult to display unless they are large and sit on a stand. The smaller ones when placed in a gem jar are pushed to the side view, my feeling is that they should be displayed with a top view. I know that there are ptychodus collectors that might have suggestions, would greatly appreciate any input---Tom

Thank for showin us your Ptycodus :)

They are both beautiful display pieces, stands or not stands :D :D :drool:

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Cases like this one are nice to display several small small fossils

post-6417-0-94067500-1329665186_thumb.jpg

Indy---Thanks for your suggestions, I have Riker frames that are fitted with gem jars, like your illustration, that are ideal for smaller shark teeth and small echinoids but most Ptychodus with a dept measurement from top of crown to bottom of root are too deep for the gem jars. The frame you illustrated is really nice, more so than my Riker frames, I like it. Helpful hint, the gem jars can be labeled on the back with 1 " round Avery adhiesive labels to ID your fossil--Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

Indy---Thanks for your suggestions, I have Riker frames that are fitted with gem jars, like your illustration, that are ideal for smaller shark teeth and small echinoids but most Ptychodus with a dept measurement from top of crown to bottom of root are too deep for the gem jars. The frame you illustrated is really nice, more so than my Riker frames, I like it. Helpful hint, the gem jars can be labeled on the back with 1 " round Avery adhiesive labels to ID your fossil--Tom

Not to promte gem jars...because there are various ways to display fossils

However, gem jars do come in various sizes. I have cases like these with the larger

gem jars...Just fewer jars can fit in the same area.

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

I use riker mounts for the small teeth (up to an inch) and show the large ptychodus teeth loose or in matrix.