Sunday Morning In Kansas City, Kansas

grokfish

Took a little jaunt out to a new spot this morning. Actually two new spots...the first spot was a rock exposure that I was hoping was a spot mentioned in Kansas Geological Survey that had some westerville limestone that is 'very fossiliforous'. Turned out to be a bunk spot, found a couple crinoid stems and some trace fossils, but otherwise nothing...

Here are the lower exposures

post-7106-0-31100400-1329707510_thumb.jpg

And the upper exposures...

post-7106-0-98065100-1329707724_thumb.jpg

Here is about the most interesting thing...seemed like these were chert layers...

post-7106-0-74352800-1329707851_thumb.jpg

The second spot I knew had some Iola formation, so I was very pleased to see an extensive exposure of the Muncie Creek shale for a couple hundred feet. Unlike the other Muncie Creek Exposures I have seen, this area seemed to be untouched for a while...it was covered in a thick layer of 'duff' from the upper layers. Next time I need to bring a shovel to cut through it to get to the shale.

post-7106-0-91109800-1329707904_thumb.jpg

Found about a dozen or so intriguing nodules that I'll break open my next day off, but I found several conulariid frags and two nice ones...

Found these laying around as I pulled out nodules

post-7106-0-96773800-1329708151_thumb.jpg

Found these last two on my way out (why is it that I always find the best in the last few minutes of hunting?). I wish I would have taken a photo in-situ, as these two were in the same rock...Think it was a rock from the crinoidal limestone above the muncie (forget what that member is called)...I broke the tip of the one extracting it out, so I decided to leave the little one in place.

post-7106-0-06328800-1329708193_thumb.jpg

Anyway, Enjoy the pics! Thanks for looking!

Grokfish

Right on, Matt. Nice finds; love the conularia! I dug a little bit in 'your spot' today and found a couple.

Hope to get together again soon.

Steve

Right on, Matt. Nice finds; love the conularia! I dug a little bit in 'your spot' today and found a couple.

Hope to get together again soon.

Thanks! Did you go out to the quarry? (I think that is 'my spot' :). Share some details when you have a moment!

Let's get together soon! I'd like to go out with you guys to the quarry to see how seasoned hunters manage the place!

Matt

Not the quarry. The Holliday cut. I know it's pretty picked over, but a cool place to hang out, and close to home.

I dug a couple of conularids from the Muncie Creek shale. I said 'your spot' because I thought that was the first ones you found.

I also found a couple of things I'll be posting in the id forum.

And, I'm far from a seasoned hunter ;) . I look forward to checking out the quarry, though.

Steve

Shoot, I was right down the street Sunday morning at holiday and inland drive! I thought about popping down to the holiday cut, but chose to check out a new spot.

Nice fossils. Beautiful strata. :)

Ok Mitch,

I'm channeling ya! Let me know if I am even close...

The spot in question...

post-7106-0-93107700-1329791332_thumb.png

My attempt at a stratigraphic sketch...

post-7106-0-73849400-1329791365_thumb.png

If I am close, that means that the westerville exposure that I was looking for was WAY uphill...possibly not even close to being exposed at this location.

Ok Mitch,

I'm channeling ya! Let me know if I am even close...

The spot in question...

post-7106-0-93107700-1329791332_thumb.png

My attempt at a stratigraphic sketch...

post-7106-0-73849400-1329791365_thumb.png

If I am close, that means that the westerville exposure that I was looking for was WAY uphill...possibly not even close to being exposed at this location.

Winterset looks right, especially with the chert. Did you split through any of the Stark?

Context is critical.

Tried to...it was pretty weathered where exposed...very rusty and fragile. It was also frosty, so it was a pain to split when I found a fresh slab. Maybe I'll head back when warmer.

Good job! Glad you're getting the strata thing nailed down. I must have a short circuit because it's eluding me :wacko:

Got sidetracked this eve, so I'll try to post my hunt and id's tomorrow.

Steve

Good job! Glad you're getting the strata thing nailed down.

I figure, if I don't get any fossils out of it, might as well try to get something out fit :)