A Procrastinators Trip To The Galena Fm In Southeast Mn

Caleb

Date: November, 26 2011

A while back ^^ my father and I went to Southeast MN to continue our search for the elusive arthropod known as Trilobite. We chose the Ordovician age Galena formation in the Southeast area of Minnesota. Our plan that day was to get permission to collect a quarry we had not been in since spring. We were a little disappointed to find that they had cleaned out almost all of the rock so there was not a lot to look at. There were a few piles, but most of those were too close to the high walls. The rules forbid collecting next to the wall for obvious reasons(darn Newton and his silly law). Anyway... We looked at the piles we could but didn't find a whole lot worth taking home(we've gotten picky over the years). Every trilobite collector dreams of finding that giant/beautiful/rare bug that is just lying there and doesn't require much prep, but as I said "dreams". Throughout the day we picked up some gastropods, a few trilobite parts and an echinoderm-ish looking thing(working on it).

While wandering around the quarry, we spotted a couple parts of HUGE Isotelus sp. hypostomes. For some reason I don't have any photos of Isotelus hypostomes so Here's a link to one on the Drydredgers website. The most complete hypostome we saw would have belonged to a trilobite that was roughly 22 inches long(55.8cm). While my math may be off a bit there is no doubt that while alive this bug was a monster. Someday I hope to just find a hypostome this size in decent condition.

Summery: Went collecting, didn't find much, found some big stuff, had a great time.

Most complete hypostome

post-3840-0-63085500-1329760354_thumb.jpg

One "prong" of a larger hypostome

post-3840-0-33452000-1329760380_thumb.jpg

Quarry wall with an off-limits pile :(

post-3840-0-19037600-1329760372_thumb.jpg

Liospira sp. gastropod

post-3840-0-04456200-1329760377_thumb.jpg

And the Liospira sp. prepped

post-3840-0-36378100-1329760819_thumb.jpg

Great pics thanks for posting NO snow up there on nov 26. 2011 ??

We've been lucky to have a very mild winter this year, I've actually done some collecting in Jan. without a winter jacket!

Twenty. Two. Inch. Trilobite.

Pardon me while I pass out!

Can you imagine finding one?!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!