Broken Otodus ... No More

cowsharks

Im no professional when it comes to repairing shark teeth, but I couldn't resist trying to piece this Otodus back together. I actually found the large piece in one screen full of material that I sifted, then kept my eye out for the smaller piece. A few screen fulls later I saw it and it looked like it fit perfectly. I saved a little matrix material and used it with some elmers glue to fill in the crack after gluing it back together at home. Not too shabby. I love the color. I don't find very many that come out this fresh looking with blue crowns and tan roots. The tooth is about 1 3/8".

Daryl.

post-2077-0-82159000-1329873038_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-68926500-1329873083_thumb.jpg

Good job :thumbsu:

The play of colors on that crown are mesmerizing!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

great job Daryl. Another awesome looking tooth. I love it when a plan comes together!! we have a few teeth that would have been heartbreaking to throw back but then have found the other half and now have them on display with almost no visible damage. Beaut of a tooth

Thanks folks. This of course was one of the easier "fixes" since the two pieces went back together fairly well without much missing. I learned many years ago to bring home some matrix dirt from the different places I collect at so I could use it to fill in the cracks in the roots. Of course, this only works if the root is the same color of the matrix dirt, and a lot of times it is a good match.

Daryl.

I'm still in awe over the way you take pictures... simply amazing!! oh, and nice tooth... :drool:

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

~Sir Winston Churchill