If You Had 7 Days To Spend In Ok, And Texas?

Ramo

Looks like my wife and I will be heading down the first full week of March. (unless works gets in the way) Right now I'm planning on spending a day hunting trilobites and/or blastoids in Oklahoma, then a day at Texoma hunting ammonites, followed by a day at POC and another at the North Sulphur River. We then may head down near Fortworth, and finish by stopping at the fossil park, and Jacksboro on the way home. I've never hunted any of these spots, and am not sure if I'm allowing too much time, or not enough time at each spot. I'm open to suggestions, and have PMed a few members for advice. If you have any special spots you are willing to share, I can assure you I will keep exact locations between us.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Looks like my wife and I will be heading down the first full week of March. (unless works gets in the way) Right now I'm planning on spending a day hunting trilobites and/or blastoids in Oklahoma, then a day at Texoma hunting ammonites, followed by a day at POC and another at the North Sulphur River. We then may head down near Fortworth, and finish by stopping at the fossil park, and Jacksboro on the way home. I've never hunted any of these spots, and am not sure if I'm allowing too much time, or not enough time at each spot. I'm open to suggestions, and have PMed a few members for advice. If you have any special spots you are willing to share, I can assure you I will keep exact locations between us.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Ramo

You could easily do Mineral Wells Fossil Park and Jacksboro in the same day--these are the only two I have any experience with. Both great sites, but if I had to pick one it would be Jacksboro.

Just wanted to add here that I had an opportunity to collect with Ramo last year, and he's a great guy, with some good stories.

He was a pleasure to collect with, and I would take him out to my spots again in a heartbeat.He also gave me some fossils from his area, which was an unexpected treat. :)

Good luck Ramo!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Just wanted to add here that I had an opportunity to collect with Ramo last year, and he's a great guy, with some good stories.

He was a pleasure to collect with, and I would take him out to my spots again in a heartbeat.He also gave me some fossils from his area, which was an unexpected treat. :)

Good luck Ramo!

Regards,

Ditto that!

Steve

Howdy!! Texas is AMAZING....in many ways... but especially for the great people here but also for the fossils!! Vertman had a fantastic idea for a local high school Basketball team and they have made a book called the Fossil Collector's Guidebook to the North Sulphur River. If you PM him, I am sure that he can give you all the details.... donate and get a book. I just got my book the other day and it is great! Everyone else here in TX seems to have made it up there but I haven't yet... but it is on my todo list!! Hope you and your wife have a fantastic trip!!

Ramo is good people. Some of my sites have limited potential. I like to earmark that potential for people like him.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

PM me if you want me to help you out with Lake Texoma or POC or if it's a time for me to come say hi and guide a bit, I will be more than happy to!

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Howdy!! Texas is AMAZING....in many ways... but especially for the great people here but also for the fossils!! Vertman had a fantastic idea for a local high school Basketball team and they have made a book called the Fossil Collector's Guidebook to the North Sulphur River. If you PM him, I am sure that he can give you all the details.... donate and get a book. I just got my book the other day and it is great! Everyone else here in TX seems to have made it up there but I haven't yet... but it is on my todo list!! Hope you and your wife have a fantastic trip!!

You two need to come visit us Northern Texans :).

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Thanks for all the tips and info I've received so far, and the kind words as well!

Looks like 6-7 days isn't going to be enough. (I guess I'll just have to plan another trip)

I should mention that I will be bringing gifts of the fossil kind with me, and will also swear an oath of silence when it comes to any "secret spots" you may point me to.

Thanks again, and I look forward to hopefully getting to meet with some fellow fossil hunters.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Wow, thank you for the nice words! However, the book was published as an occasional paper of the Dallas Paleontological Society. I had several extra copies of the book which I have offered for sale to benefit my daughter's home school basketball program, which is a 501c(3) organizaion.

Wow, thank you for the nice words! However, the book was published as an occasional paper of the Dallas Paleontological Society. I had several extra copies of the book which I have offered for sale to benefit my daughter's home school basketball program, which is a 501c(3) organizaion.

Thanks for the clarification! I really need to get better about checking my wording before posting something! :)