Qualifications Needed To Study Paleontolgy In The Uk?

jacob

Hello all,

I hope to study paleontology at university and i was just wondering what qualifications i need?

Kind Regards

Jacob

From what I remember, relatively few Universities offer Paleontology. You could do either Biology or Geology for your undergrad, depending on what your interested in. Bristol is a good university and offers a combined bachelors and masters in paleo. However, a more general Bsc might help you if you decide at the end of 3 years that you want to do something else. If you're serious about palaeontology, you'll have to do a PhD anyway. Either way, A levels in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology are your best bet at A level.

And English.

Palaeontologists wouldn't be the only ones to benefit from English.

Edited by THobern

I'm actually in a similar position to you, Jacob. As THobern has mentioned A-Levels in Science are the key to success. Biology is essential for palaeontology, and therefore must be taken at A-Level, subjects such as Maths, Physics, and Chemistry are less relevant but are still useful to obtain at AS. Another option worth taking is Geography as that can provide a back up; for example in earth sciences, or geology. Basically, science is your best option for success, but it's also worth noting that you'll need decent GCSEs in English and Maths to even be considered.

Joe

Nota bene; After spending a vast quanity of time researching what factors may enable one to continue along the quest of palaeontology I deduced the following information, which you are free to make what you will of it. The information expressed is what I've personally inferred, and how I believe things to be.

When travelling down the virtual road of palaeontology there are numerous routes you can take, and not all of them lead to the same place. If you would like to study palaeontology at University then you have several options to choose from. There are two major universities within England which offer palaeontology (formally palaeobiology) degrees, these are; Portsmouth, and Bristol, the latter being a MSc.

Bristol requires that you have at least a grade B in English Language and Maths. May I add that Bristol expresses that Biology is absolutely mandatory for A-Level. They express that they would ideally like three Science/Mathematical subjects for A-Level, but they will accept two at A-Level. Whereas, Portsmouth express that they would like any science subject at grade C for A-Level, both Maths and Geography are included as Scientific subjects. There's also the option of taking a BSc in Geology, and expanding your degree potentially in a palaeontological sector. Every Geology degree requires that you have an A-Level in either Geology (which is very rare, as few schools offer it), or more commonly Geography.

I have also learnt that extra curricular activites and experience is vital, in order to stand out from the crowd. It's a personal choice as to whether you gain experience, and what extra curricular activities you do. It's also worth noting that extra curricular activities don't have to be entirely related, as Universities like a rounded person who expresses interest in a variety of different sectors. There are of course other options that are available, but, to best of my knowledge, this is best option.

Edited by Ammojoe

Kind regards,

Joe

Maths and chemistry are far more important for geology and palaeontology than biology and geography at this stage. Get good A levels in rigorous subjects and you'll be fine.

Hello all,

I hope to study paleontology at university and i was just wondering what qualifications i need?

Kind Regards

Jacob

Hi Jacob

all the above is good advice . Also email some of the paleontologists at the Natural History Museum in London or your local museum . Ive seen the same question asked on there website with some great advice in reply ( to much to list here ) Ive found Dr Adrian Lister to be very helpful (NHM) with advice

Edited by ckmerlin

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

Hey thanks all for the advice, im not at A-level yet but I am at a disposition where no where in the area does a geology A-level. Hence why i asked about other options.

You will definitely want to consider an undergrad degree in geology. That's where I am right now, and the paleontologists advising me tell me that a geology degree will provide the best background for further graduate studies. It is also very important to have a good background in biology- ecology and evolutionary biology will be a huge help. Chemistry will also be essential, but this will probably be a part of your degree program.

There are 3 universities that offer Paleo as an undergrad, I suggest emailing their departments. If, on the other hand, you want to do Geology as an undergrad, which may be the best way to go, ask the Geology departments what they are looking for. Admissions officers will know more than we will.

A masters degree in Paleontology will get you a great job delivering pizza. Make sure you get your PhD.

A masters degree in Paleontology will get you a great job delivering pizza. Make sure you get your PhD.

:lol: I've had pizza delivered that took so long to get there the pepperoni was well on it's way to being fossilized! Was that you Boneman? ;)

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

:lol: I've had pizza delivered that took so long to get there the pepperoni was well on it's way to being fossilized! Was that you Boneman? ;)

Nope! By day I'm a computer consultant. That's why I like rocks! Nothing High Tech about them!

Edited by Boneman007