Glen Rose Trip- Suggestions For Looking For Fossils?

fossiladdict

Planning a trip to Glen Rose soon, not going to fossil hunt, but might throw in a place or two to look if any of you have any suggestions.

PM me if its easier!

Lyla

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

fossiladdict...

The most easily accessible places to do a little quick looking is in the road cuts along Hwy 67 between Dallas and Glen Rose (close to Glen Rose). I've had some pretty good luck in that area with ammonites, echinoids, bivalves and other miscellaneous Cretaceous bits and pieces.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

There WAS a creationist museum there the last time I was in the vicinity (a couple of years ago) but I don't think they would take it very kindly if you went there to laugh at them. The Paluxy River trackways are pretty interesting as long as you're there when the river is still relatively low. It's pretty hard to see anything when the river is raging through its banks.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Erose is the best member on the forum that I would ask.....he knows a great deal about the Glen Rose Formation.

Best of luck on your hunts!!!

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

Thanks Kim. But for all my collecting around Central Texas I don't know much about collecting around the town of Glen Rose. I have also been told to hit the various road cuts along Hwy 67 but have yet to explore up that way.

I actually stopped on a roadcut with MikeD last year (found that awesome echinoid)!

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

I stopped at a cut west of town years ago, south on a road I believe was FM 203. Maybe someone with a better memory can confirm that.

It's been too long since my college field camp there to remember anything.

Amateur Nature Photographer / Fossil Hunter

www.naturesstage.com

Kevin Knight

• 2 weeks later...

Well I made it to Glen Rose weekend this past weekend. We made about 3 roadside stops and found the following (not the greatest pics). What are these? They are pretty good sized and these are just a few of them. post-4072-0-53318300-1331347828_thumb.jpg I like this little ammonite. post-4072-0-87538500-1331347830_thumb.jpgpost-4072-0-48540900-1331347832_thumb.jpgpost-4072-0-56013500-1331347834_thumb.jpgpost-4072-0-30638800-1331347836_thumb.jpg

We did go see the Dinosaur Tracks (or what you could see of them anyway). post-4072-0-78032500-1331348076_thumb.jpg

I did get to go to the Wildlife Center and found this little guy whom I absolutely fell in love with :wub: ! post-4072-0-98104900-1331347839_thumb.jpg

Of course, I took tons of pictures but mostly of nature.

Lyla

I used to travel between Austin and Lewisville pretty often, and I would occasionally take 281 just to have a break from boring IH35--which would take me through Glen Rose. I stopped at a Subway in GR, and asked the kid behind the counter if he knew where the dino tracks were--and to my complete surprise, the kid told me that it was his grandfather who discovered the famous footprints! He said everyone at the time thought they were elephant footprints, but later learned they were dinos!

The emu is cool!

Nice. The first pics look like some kind of bivalve. The scallop looking ones are some species of Nethia. The zigzag one is a denture clam. That's all I got. Nice emu. Did you take him home?

Nice ammo! lol..maybe you should get an emu or two (I know one can farm ostriches but can one raise emus as well?)

Nice. The first pics look like some kind of bivalve. The scallop looking ones are some species of Nethia. The zigzag one is a denture clam. That's all I got. Nice emu. Did you take him home?

Nice ammo! lol..maybe you should get an emu or two (I know one can farm ostriches but can one raise emus as well?)

If I could have taken that Emu home, I would have. I don't have enough land for an Emu right now, otherwise I would probably get one. He was just adorable! I had to go visit him 3x before we left. post-4072-0-17398100-1331668960_thumb.jpg

If I remember to pack those bivalves up Mike I will, they are interesting as I've never found those before. I knew what the denture clam was as I have a few whole nice ones of those.

I like that little ammonite as well. I need to clean it a little better. [