West Central Texas Pennsylvanian Trip

mikecable

Gary and I hadn't planned on hunting yesterday. But Thursday we were contacted by a local member of the Dallas Paleontological Society who graciously offered to allow us to join him and four other DPS members on a tour of sites south of Cross Plains. The DPS members were scouting for a possible future club field trip. We all met at the Dairy Queen in Cross Plains, which at least on this Saturday morning has FREE :) coffee until 11 am. We compared notes, pored over geologic maps, and then set out in a 3 vehicle caravan for some roadcuts near Pecan Bayou, which is the major feeder stream for Lake Brownwood.

post-7463-0-74313100-1330277996_thumb.jpg

post-7463-0-17449900-1330278042_thumb.jpg

Horned coral in matrix.

Edited by mikecable

This site was very rich in crinoidal material. I also found a fusinilid rich matrix near this shot, and took a sample.

post-7463-0-25238500-1330280502_thumb.jpg

I going to the supermarket for spaghetti fixin's. When I get back and have dinner started I'll post spillway pics, and start to try to get some fossil photos up.

Thanks for letting us tag along; scouting trips have their own, heightened, sense of adventure!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Those Caninia-Syringopora plates are fantastic. Were you able to remove any intact?

And thanks for including the collecting site images.

Context is critical.

Those Caninia-Syringopora plates are fantastic. Were you able to remove any intact?

And thanks for including the collecting site images.

Yes. In fact, if you ever make it down this way you could carry a suitcase full home. Or PM me with your address and I will send you a few.

post-7463-0-97002400-1330287716_thumb.jpg

Weathered out bryozoan fragments, crinoidal debris, and who knows what else. I didn't think to lay down a scale in the heat of the hunt, but you are looking at an approximately 5" by 7" window.