Finally Got The New Waders And What A Great Mid Morning We Had

flyersfan805

A couple of weeks ago we went for a fossil trip to the waterfall and after about five minutes my left leg started to burn, I thought it was where my waders were touching bare skin on my leg but once my leg started to go numb and I was starting to have to drag it behind me and stumble I realized that it was actually just filling up with water and was freezing..lol. Needless to say it was time to get out and head up to the house. After a couple of weeks of chomping at the bit and having to wait to get new waders we finally had a few minutes this mid-morning to get back to the stream. A portion of the side wall had frozen off and fallen in and laying right on top was what I thought was a paint can. Upon further inspection we found it was the largest vert we have to date. Much frenzied digging followed and we came up with a few more awesome finds, an enjoyable time was had by all. I think we need just a few more freeze thaw's and we will have the skull. Hope everyone had as fun a weekend as we had.

Mike

post-5973-0-50844000-1330297537_thumb.jpg

post-5973-0-34326900-1330297578_thumb.jpg

post-5973-0-93493200-1330297620_thumb.jpg

post-5973-0-79562500-1330297680_thumb.jpg

Edited by flyersfan805

You would think after the water in the waders episode he would learn but this evening we went for a walk with the kids thru the woods and down by the creek. Mike spotted what the thought might be a tooth in a different location so off came his shoes, he rolled up his pants and hopped right into the freezing cold water. We got a good laugh, he got stinging toes and a nice mako :-) (and maybe a new spot to explore)

...I'd rather be digging...Life

Doin' the Cold-Water-Mako Shuffle!

(Would "Stinging Toes" be a good band name?)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Doin' the Cold-Water-Mako Shuffle!

(Would "Stinging Toes" be a good band name?)

Next time I will have to capture the moment with video! Could call it the hypothermic hula!

...I'd rather be digging...Life

once again, I am amazed by the variety of your finds. What a great thing it must be to have such a place all to yourself !!!

Edited by sixgill pete

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

I got them at dick's sporting goods, pro line neoprene chest waders. They have the felt bottoms on the feet and I know that there are some legal issues now in some states but it is really only for our stream. About a hundred bucks. I had a rubber type before, but the neoprene seems to be a quarter of the weight and warmer :)

You would think after the water in the waders episode he would learn but this evening we went for a walk with the kids thru the woods and down by the creek. Mike spotted what the thought might be a tooth in a different location so off came his shoes, he rolled up his pants and hopped right into the freezing cold water. We got a good laugh, he got stinging toes and a nice mako :-) (and maybe a new spot to explore)

Surprised you guys are still digging the same spot. I would have dug every inch of that place by now.

Surprised you guys are still digging the same spot. I would have dug every inch of that place by now.

There are a couple of places that we dig and screen in. The waterfall continues to be crazy productive and finding the atlas verts and the newest squalodon tooth there keeps drawing "life" back for more. Not to mention that we just found that huge 6" Diameter vert. Not to mention all the beautiful shark teeth that keep coming out of that hole. Not to mention...lol JK.

Try these- post-3033-0-27590500-1330530957_thumb.png

Gizmo have you had luck with those from Cabellas? The first pair I had were similar to those (not from Cabellas) but the seams came unwelded and I had to take them back

I got them at dick's sporting goods, pro line neoprene chest waders. They have the felt bottoms on the feet and I know that there are some legal issues now in some states but it is really only for our stream. About a hundred bucks. I had a rubber type before, but the neoprene seems to be a quarter of the weight and warmer :)

As I understand it... the problem with Felt Bottom shoes/waders is that they carry that snot like stuff from place to place. I'd think there would be no issue at all using them exclusively in your own creek.

Is that 4 years of beach combing collecting or heavy digging and screening? ;) How about walking through underbrush along small creeks? I have found those things to be big equalizers. In NJ, no waders seem to last very long.

Never a problem with them, they last about 4 years.

Edited by non-remanié

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Wow, interesting finds as usual. You definitely have a wide variety there. That vert is huge, I hope you do find the rest of the critter!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

I'm Jealous. Wish I had that in the back yard......I'd be in real trouble though....down here in the south all we have on is a good pair of shorts and a grin when getting in the water.

A good day hunting is, well..... a GOOD DAY.

Thanks guys:) went down before the rain today, another pretty productive day. We thought the next time we would bring the camera and take a video. Seeing all these other videos has inspired us to try and bring you guys along next hunt