Pennsylvanian Hash Plates

Missourian

The weather was nice, so I stopped at a couple of sites to collect some hash plates.

Upper Winterset Limestone, Pennsylvanian

Clay County, Missouri:

post-6808-0-07446700-1330301279_thumb.jpg

Stick bryozoans, crinoid debris and carbonized wood fragments can be seen here. Gastropods can also be found in this muddy limestone. Ostracods are common as well, though I'll have to put these under the scope to see any.

Lower Wea Shale, Pennsylvanian

Jackson County, Missouri:

post-6808-0-72430800-1330301572_thumb.jpg

The little blue brachiopods are Crurythris. The tiny white things are ammovertellids, a type of foram.

Another plate:

post-6808-0-02097700-1330301664_thumb.jpg

A few larger brachs can be found scattered in the debris:

post-6808-0-66233400-1330301731_thumb.jpg

Cephalopods are not unheard of in these beds:

post-6808-0-48228000-1330301777_thumb.jpg

I found this one some years back.

Context is critical.

I will never get over my romance with hash plates! :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice. The diversity inside a few square inches is awesome. Recently I was looking over a plate from the Cincinnatian (Upper Ordovician) and realized it held bits of four different trilobite genera: Isotelus, Flexicalymene, Acidapsis and Ceraurus. That included spines, pygidia, free cheeks and two hypostomes. Bryozoans, brachs, and crinoid debris filled in all the other space. I had collected it many years before and only just now took a really close look.

The nautiloid is pretty darn nice too (got a little hash in the middle). Yesterday I collected the Texas Pennsylvanian with great success, but nothing as nice as that. Gotta post pics and a report once I can take photos.

Edited by erose

The most amazing thing about these 6-8" Wea beds is how they retain their character over several tens of miles, and yet the rocks just a couple inches above or below are completely different. Also, no other limestones in the area are anything like it. These characteristics make this bed extremely useful when trying to identify the stratigraphic level.

Context is critical.

I love it when the plate is almost all hash with little-or-no matrix. Is that a tooth, crinoid plate or something else near the center of the fossil on the left in the first picture?

I love it when the plate is almost all hash with little-or-no matrix. Is that a tooth, crinoid plate or something else near the center of the fossil on the left in the first picture?

That's a crinoid spine, probably Delocrinus.

Context is critical.