Bryozoa?

masonboro37

I found this today on the soundside of Wrightsville Beach, NC. Looks a little Bryozoan, maybe. Could be a shell trace fossil. I really am not sure and does anyone have any thoughts about it ? :) Little fossil in limestone with other bryozoa and some shell fragments.

post-7899-0-17005000-1330307924_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-61859900-1330307938_thumb.jpg

Edited by masonboro37

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Kind of looks like a cross-section of a horn coral.

Interesting. I just looked horn coral up and there is a resemblance. I never would have thought coral, thank you. I am still researching though.

Horn coral of that size should be visible on the other side also. Any sign of it on the back?

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Horn coral of that size should be visible on the other side also. Any sign of it on the back?

Good observation, Kyle!

Steve

Probably a scleractiniid; so not a "horn coral". Horn corals are rugosids.

2012 NCAA Collegiate Round Ball Champs; and in '98, '96, '78, 58, '51, '49, and '48, too.

There is no sign of it on the back. This will be an good research project for me. Thanks Kehbe.

It might be a barnacle scar, a place where a barnacle was once attached.

Maybe, I am checking into horn coral again and the scleractinid (stoney coral) again. Thank you Al Dente!

It might be a barnacle scar, a place where a barnacle was once attached.

Goos call; a big acorn barnacle leaves a scar just like that.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Probably a scleractiniid; so not a "horn coral". Horn corals are rugosids.

Thanks for the information Thanatocoenosis! There is a possbility this could be Anthozoa, scleractinid (stoney coral). I found the fact that it is in the same Pylum as jellyfish and sea anemone cause for even more research. I have been able to find plenty of pictures of a scleractinid online, but not in fossil form. I have been looking at horn coral aswell as other coral possibilities.

Edited by masonboro37

Goos call; a big acorn barnacle leaves a scar just like that.

Goodness, I am looking in all directions to figure this little fossil out tonight. This should be fun! :) Looking into barnacles again.

Edited by masonboro37

My initial thought was for some type of coral. Here is a paper on balanid barnacle ichnofossils: LINK

Interesting item :D

Thanks.The link does not seem to work. l am busy with this lead of yours now. :)

Edited by masonboro37

Thanks.The link does not seem to work. l am busy with this lead of yours now. :)

I still think it's a coral but was following up on Al Dente's suggestion... Try the link again as it seems to be working now :)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I still think it's a coral but was following up on Al Dente's suggestion... Try the link again as it seems to be working now :)

I will and I am going to contact a friend on the FF. He is an expert on coral and everything else. Thanks again. :)

Edited by masonboro37

Hi Masonboro,Thanks,but I wouldn't say I'm an expert, but I do have a lot of experience (and reference books :D ) It looks like a coral to me also, with the center of the calyx filled in. Leaving the septa and outer wall exposed. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess it's Paleogene since it's along the coast of N.C. Now to the very end of the limb and guess maybe "Flabellum" or "Trochocyathus" from the Eocene. If not, it might give you a starting place to look. Regards, Herb

barely still in the tree :o

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Hi Masonboro,Thanks,but I wouldn't say I'm an expert, but I do have a lot of experience (and reference books :D ) It looks like a coral to me also, with the center of the calyx filled in. Leaving the septa and outer wall exposed. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess it's Paleogene since it's along the coast of N.C. Now to the very end of the limb and guess maybe "Flabellum" or "Trochocyathus" from the Eocene. If not, it might give you a starting place to look. Regards, Herb barely still in the tree :o

I knew you might know! I just researched both and the trace fossil resembles Trochocyathus GREATLY from the pics online! More so than the other coral specimens. Solidary coral could make the impression! I have a similar solidary, very modern coral and I am determining the resemblance. I would have not had this coral cross my mind until you mentioned it. Thank you! I posted a pic of my modern specimen. :D

Libby

post-7899-0-94775200-1330396101_thumb.jpg

Hi Libby, that coral is very cool! I have some from the Eocene of Ala. that are almost identical. Herb

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

Hi Libby, that coral is very cool! I have some from the Eocene of Ala. that are almost identical. Herb

Thanks Herb. It is one of my special corals. I found it about 30 years ago before I understood about fossils. Would like to see the similar Eocene coral, in your gallery pics?

Edited by masonboro37

Here you go.

post-2520-0-89040200-1330397764_thumb.jpg

post-2520-0-25151600-1330397795_thumb.jpg

Here you go.

Yes! Thank you. My little ichinofossil is special but not complete compaired to yours. Thank you for sharing.

Edited by masonboro37

I have looked again at the back side of the limestone matrix. Kenbe had mentioned this yesterday. There is another tiny ichnofossil which does remsemble the one in question on the front, but smaller. I must have missed seeing it. This fossil is other side of the limestone, really in no relation to the one on the front. I have checked out the great links from everyone aswell. I am convinced this is coral due to everyone's help and identification possibilities. I really appreciate all the help! Considering I thought it was bryozoa at first, I have needed the help! :) I am back to Trochocyathus solidary coral and horn coral again. I have posted the picture of the ichnofossil on the back of the limestone.

post-7899-0-36316600-1330478217_thumb.jpg

Indy that is a beautiful solitary coral, excellent details. What is it, Grewingkia? Where did you dig it up?

I agree that her specimen is a solitary coral also, I'm going with "Trochocyathus" from the Eocene due to the area and it's small size of 1/2 inch. What do you think?

Regards, Herb