Big Trilo Head... But Now What!?!

Oh-Man

Up in PA for work and stopped at a local Mahantango spot.

It's about 2 1/4" across and I'm not sure if there is anything else buried in the matrix - which amounts to about 10 lbs of rock you don't see in the pictures.

I was thinking of trying to trim it up before getting on the airplane home, but am a little hesitant for fear of exploding the thing...

Wish me luck!

post-549-0-79360800-1330489679_thumb.jpg

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

I don't think the Phila or Pittsburg TSA will let you board a plane with that potenial dangerous 10 pound rock. Let me hold it for you in NJ and maybe I'll remember to take it with me the next time I drive down to Texas

I don't think the Phila or Pittsburg TSA will let you board a plane with that potenial dangerous 10 pound rock. Let me hold it for you in NJ and maybe I'll remember to take it with me the next time I drive down to Texas

Luckily I'm flying out through BWI and the TSA agents there take payoffs!!!. heh heh heh

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

The TSA is really funny about rocks in carry on's. I flew out to Arizona a few times last year on business and managed to have rocks in my bags on every trip home... never failed to get the extra special treatment at security. The best one was the 5 or so pound chunk of petrified wood... Good news is, rocks/minerals/fossils are not on their list of prohibited items so all my treasures made it home safely.

Anyway, nice trilobite... looks like some good potential for more of the critter to show up under the matrix.

i had no problem taking 200 lbs of rocks from munich to san antonio via dc in sept

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Based on the highly fragile and fractured nature of the matrix (that I well know from experience) I would wrap it as best you can and take it home to prep. It already looks like there is a flake of shale ready to come off the side. If your not careful it will pop the whole head off. It looks like it's just a cephalon but there could be some thorax in the rock behind.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Sweet trilo! Can't wait to see it prepped!

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Nice trilo. Mahantango never gave up one of those for me.

I was turned back in Cinci in 2003 and had to purchase a box ($15) and check it. It was just a cloth shopping bag full of small rocks. Luckily the airline took pity on me and didn't make me pay the extra $40 for a second bag.