Interesting North Sulphur River Find - Glyptodon Scote

Texas Fossil Hound

Spent a Saturday in the North Sulphur River and found a couple of interesting things. But one item in particular, I have never found before.

In the riverbed, I found a Glyptodon Scute. Nice surprise!

post-4709-0-55877700-1330667285_thumb.jpg

post-4709-0-87021700-1330667307_thumb.jpg

Here is the rest of the day's haul. a small tumbled Mosasaur vert, a section of bone (jaw?), an Ozan red-bed nautilus, a rib bone, 2 Arrowheads, a couple shark teeth, the Glyptodon scute, an Enchodus jaw, a shark vert, a coprolite, and an interesting fish bone? not sure what this is from.

It has what appears to be fish bone on the back, but the front has an armore plate looking texture. Any thoughts out there?

post-4709-0-23183600-1330667340_thumb.jpg post-4709-0-51229700-1330667323_thumb.jpg

Jon

Edited by Texas Fossil Hound

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."

I bet the mystery fish bone is a jaw frag and the dots are tiny tooth bases.

Absolutely gorgeous haul you have there - I can't WAIT to collecting the Sulphur!!!

nice Glyptotheriun osteoderm! so much pleistocene stuff is nondescript, rolled bone fragments, often poorly mineralized, that its nice to find something distinctly pleistocene and definitely extinct!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

That is the first Glyptodont material I have see from the Sulphur--NICE. The ammonite is Pachydiscus paulsoni from the Red Beds of the channel, the rib is Mosasaur and by the way nice points, you had a very productive day. I have a skull piece from the fish bone you found, maybe someone can put a name to it for us also a photo of a Glypyodont, from the University of Florida, that is about VW size how about hitting one of them in your car, that would be massive roadkill---Tom

post-3940-0-98633500-1330694905_thumb.jpg

post-3940-0-23628100-1330695004_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

That is a enchodus palantine tooth. These teeth are three sided, but the teeth in the remainder of the jaw are two sided.

Great job! Can't wait till Spring Break so I can go hunt the sulphur some.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'