Aurora Nc Trip

ncjack99

I had hoped to hunt in GMR this weekend but the weather had other plans so plan B was to hit Aurora.  First tooth was a Giant Thresher!  The rest of the day was just so so but the thresher alone was worth the trip.

post-1099-0-32288700-1330826493_thumb.jpg

great tooth :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Hey Jack,

Sorry to be the bearer of....well, news. But I'm fairly certain that is a Isurus retroflexus. Nice tooth, either way.

Cheers,

CBK

Edited by Sharks of SC

Cool tooth! The weather kept me away from my usual spots today.

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Bummer. George at the museum had identified it for me. He's usually dead on. Still having a great time out here

It looks thresher to me, I'm not sure about giant thresher though. It's a nice tooth either way!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

If George said it is a thresher it is a thresher.

It looks thresher to me, I'm not sure about giant thresher though. It's a nice tooth either way!

Well, now I'm curious! I've found many (20+) examples of Alopias grandis over the years, and none have this particular shape - the blade is less robust than all the examples I have found, and has very minimal curvature. Additionally, the root seems more compressed than any thresher I've found. If I had found this tooth, I would have leaned more toward Paratodus benedeni rather than a thresher, but my vote still goes to lateral mako of sorts.

I'll try to take some pictures of giant threshers and similar makos in the morning to illustrate my point. In the mean time, I would recommend PM-ing fellow forum members siteseer or northernsharks, or anyone more versed in tooth morphology than myself.

Just to be clear - I'm not trying to be argumentative or dismiss George's identification, but I do believe this tooth deserves a second look...it could be that you've found a very uncommon tooth position, I'm just totally stumped. Regardless, I hope you get a definitive answer soon.

CBK

Guys, I have to go with CBK on this one. If it is thresher, I am pretty sure it is not giant thresher. And yes, like Rick said, George is usually spot on with his ID's, but this tooth screams Isurus retroflexus to me. But, I could be wrong. George is a great guy, a retired OBGN doc who delivered my youngest daughter.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

I had hoped to hunt in GMR this weekend but the weather had other plans so plan B was to hit Aurora. First tooth was a Giant Thresher! The rest of the day was just so so but the thresher alone was worth the trip.

Aurora plan B... this is very sad :(

Please reopen the mine :)

Nice tooth , Jack

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

CBK - I welcome and value all opinions on what species this tooth belongs to. Here's the back of the tooth. As I continue to study it, there are details that do point to the tooth being a Mako.  Looking forward to everyone's input.

post-1099-0-23619100-1330861270_thumb.jpg

Aurora plan B... this is very sad :(

Please reopen the mine :)

Nice tooth , Jack

Nando, very well stated!!

Jack, if I had found this tooth I would have not thought thresher either... my first thought would have been mako due to how the labial side looks... I'm very interested in seeing how this turns out... thanks for posting!!

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

~Sir Winston Churchill

I mean George can be wrong like anyone else, he is human. But he knows his stuff.

Nice tooth. My guess would be a lateral Parotodus benedeni. From what I can see it looks like this tooth I found there last summer. It is about 3 cm long.

post-6248-0-95509900-1330886220_thumb.jpg

Edited by John Hamilton

Without handling the tooth I would tend towards Isurus retroflexus

No burlette which rules out Parotodus.

The labial overhang over the root indicates retroflexus vice desori. However, larger makos of both species tend to move towards a common tooth shape and can be hard to tell apart.

Edited by Paleoc

Maybe if we all look ad elasmo.com ad the long and shortfin mako you wil see that this tooth is not far of

When I first saw the photo, I immediately thought mako and wondered if it could be retroflexus. A photo of the labial face could settle the issue (evidence of inflated root at the crown foot aka Kent's "elevated platform") but a profile view would be the clincher as retroflexus has a noticeably flatter crown than oxyrinchus. The inflated root area could be made less distinct by water-wear but you'd still have the crown's labiolingual thickness to make the call.

Guys, I have to go with CBK on this one. If it is thresher, I am pretty sure it is not giant thresher. And yes, like Rick said, George is usually spot on with his ID's, but this tooth screams Isurus retroflexus to me. But, I could be wrong. George is a great guy, a retired OBGN doc who delivered my youngest daughter.