Oklahoma And Texas Hunt Updated 3/8/2012

Ramo

Glad you like the iron fish,it sure is mind blowing in person..

It was fun hanging out with you two. It's raining right now,so just turn around and come back :)

Well so far, so good. Today the weather was just about perfect. We started off crawling around White mound for a while, and came out of there with I think 4 or 5 complete enrolled trilobites, a few pieces, and a bunch of brachs. It was a very cool place, and I'd recommend it to anyone in the area. Kind of hard to find, but well worth the effort. Pat, the owner stopped by and told stories about a professor from OU or OSU who used to bring a train within 5 miles of the mound, and then hired people to bring them in for a week long stay back in the early 1900's. Here are a few pictures from the mound.

John and I are scheduled to go down to White Mound in April with the Sam Noble Museum...I'm hoping we'll have such luck!

Anna and John

SE Oklahoma

____________________________________________________________________________________

"Life is an occasion, rise to it."

--Mr. Magorium, "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium"

http://​www.johnsdiscoveries.com

the preservation on that turtle is amazing! :D

Awesome stuff!

what was that weird tree or bush from the earlier pics?

Nice finds.

Sounds like loads of fun. I agree with jim....the turtle preservation was awesome..! :D

A good day hunting is, well..... a GOOD DAY.

At least you found a ptychodus. Without rain, POC after a few days of everyone hunting creates challenges for finding decent teeth. Maybe if you come back, we will get some really heavy rain right before you come.

I like the stuff you found at Jacksboro...pretty neat stuff.

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Awesome report, Ramo! Your trip flew by too quickly. I looked forward to your upates everyday.

Steve

As for hard core hunting here's a pic of me closing down the place on Tuesday!

I could have hunted some more with my LED hat light, but the frogs were out which meant the snakes were gonna follow...

post-549-0-92561100-1331248179_thumb.jpg

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

When in Rhome. (and Jacksboro)

Hey you found my pocket knife...oh. no. Mine has the cork screw. Used way more often than the phillips screwdriver...

Jacksboro can handle a battalion of collectors and still produce. Most of the really deep footprints were there when we arrived. In fact I found a couple of good specimens where others had passed before. There is a sick pleasure in that, I know.

I found several shark teeth, at least two or three new brachs, a few new bivalves, scaphopods, conularia (good ones) and some decent cephalopods including some large orthoconic types as well as a few recognizable bits of ammonoids. And a few quality specimens to replace the old scrappy ones. Oh and one mostly complete rostroconch.

Edited by erose

Ramo,

Finally got around to finishing reading this report. :)

Thanks for posting it.

Glad you had a good time, and found alot of stuff!

Congratulations on the successful trip, despite the rains.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Here is one of the bugs I collected at Black Cat on the trip with Ramo.

It's a partial ,but was fun to work on.I used a scalpel,straight pin and water to remove the matrix.

This one was mostly exposed to begin with. I have one rock that Bob gave me that has a trilo in it.I have the two halves and will glue them together sometime soon. I'm not sure however that I will work on this one due to my limited "on hand" paleo tools. The best that I have now is an electric engraver.Usually final prepping on these trilo's involves abrasive blasting with certain mediums.Anyway here is the bug I am playing with now.

post-417-0-27484100-1331756313_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-14955000-1331756329_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-66397700-1331756343_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-64723900-1331756367_thumb.jpg

Barry - I posted pix of your snakes, but the post got deleted. Not sure why... :(

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

I can understand why.I think the condition that they were in had something to do with it.

Good luck if you go to Brnwd...

Great finds! I especially like the trilobites. I always want to stop and hunt the Arbuckles when we drive through, but we always seem to be in a hurry to get somewhere else. The Texoma finds are nice too. We have a house on the lake, but again we always seem to have something else to do when there. I don't know how many times I have planned a trip to the dam area, only to not make it.

As for POC. If it hasn't rained recently before your stop, the sifting the gravel bars is the way to go. Even a large cheap plastic kitchen colander will work if that is all you got. Scoop up some gravel, use the creek water to wash the mud and dirt out, then dump the washed gravel onto a screen or a tray of some kind. Then start picking up the teeth (many of them will be very small). You will be amazed at how many teeth you can find in only 3 - 4 gals of washed gravel. If you don't find some in the first couple of scoops, move up or down the creek a little and try again.