Pennsylvanian Quarry Trip

Kehbe

A few of us Kansas City locals got together for a Pennsylvanian quarry hunt! What a great time! Thanks guys and gal. :) Couldn't have ask for better weather and although we didn't cart out tons of material, we came away with some nice stuff! Just thought I would post a picture of us standing in front of the man made caves that are unstable and collapsing hence the reason for quarrying the site! Heres the group!

post-7046-0-01035800-1330958417_thumb.jpg

From left to right. Bullsnake, Kehbe, Gypsy, Missourian and Grokfish.

More pictures and narrative to come! Jump in there guys and post up your pics and stories!

Edited by Kehbe

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

I found this cephalopod in what we think is the Stark Shale. They have moved a lot of material around and some stuff is not in its original location. I am hoping someone might be able to narrow down the ID on this so I can tag it with more than just 'cephalopod' :)

Cephalopod, Pennsylvanian, Stark Shale, Kansas City, Jackson county, Missouri

post-7046-0-84738800-1330960039_thumb.jpg

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

At the top of the Winterset.

post-7046-0-87511000-1330961644_thumb.jpg

Left to Right...Grokfish, Missourian and Bullsnake!

Charles Darwin

Notice the tilting layers in the last photo....

That's due to the collapse of the cave below. :o

Context is critical.

How far back do those caves go, Kehbe? LOL!

I'm photographing right now, so I'll post up a little later.

Steve

The 5 of you look like outlaws running from the law in the canyons and buttes out west. Good times killer kyle!

Joe...

(evolution ROCKS....)

We weren't there very long when I found this on top of a large boulder:

In situ post-5130-0-25318000-1330997919_thumb.jpg Closeup at home post-5130-0-80408800-1330998114_thumb.jpg

A few minutes later, I said to Missourian,"Hmmm, a little geodey lookin' rock", to which he replied, "Oh, that's algae! Nice!"

Top (about 2cm diameter) post-5130-0-92355900-1330998356_thumb.jpg Underside post-5130-0-01011300-1330998437_thumb.jpg

Found a few more pieces post-5130-0-93001200-1330999147_thumb.jpg

Then we moved on and explored the shale Kehbe mentioned earlier, where he found his cephalopod. I didnt find anything, but brought home a chunk to look for conodonts. (I shall heed the advice to wear a mask)!

Shortly after we came across some boulders placed in the roadway. You could literally pluck these brachs off with your fingernail.

post-5130-0-91819100-1330998807_thumb.jpg

I can't remember at what point I picked these up. Pretty cool looking algae covered stuff. My girlfriend's grandaughter saw the pectens and said,"Oh you found some fish" :D

post-5130-0-53996400-1330999058_thumb.jpg

At another spot, I dug this out of a shaley, sandy, limestone layer.

post-5130-0-11762700-1330999402_thumb.jpg

Right after that, we climbed up to another level of the quarry and encountered another fossil hunter. He showed us an area of this brach hash that also yields shark teeth. I didn't find any teeth but brought home a few pieces to 'dissect', just to see if anything might be inside. I can't remember the name of these brachs. (Can you remind me please, Missorian)?

I should have taken better closeups

post-5130-0-23727100-1330999901_thumb.jpg

Grokfish had to leave, and I was too preoccupied to realize it, so, sorry Matt!

After a bit more exploring, Kehbe, Missourian and I went to a different location, where I found a few straight-shelled cephs, some pelycepods, brachs, and a trilobite genal spine. I'll post some pics of them in the next day or two,

Thanks for a great day, guys, and gal (it was a pleasure meeting you, Gypsy). And thanks for getting us in the quarry, Matt!

Edited by Bullsnake

Steve

The 5 of you look like outlaws running from the law in the canyons and buttes out west...

The real Hole in the Wall Gang!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I can't remember the name of these brachs. (Can you remind me please, Missorian)?

The little blue ones are Crurithyris planoconvexa.

Context is critical.

Was a really great time, guys! Thanks for joining me!

It was a great day for me...a trilobite tail, some random gastros, and what I think is a worn ammonite. My big finds are some shrimp-like stuff in the black shale, and three different types of shark teeth (all tiny frags). I'll post some pics when I get around to it.

Now that we know what we're looking for there (thanks to bob!) gonna have to take a few more trips out there!

Glad everyone had a good time, and it was a pleasure meeting you, gypsy!

Grokfish

A site diagram, just because.... :)

post-6808-0-79159700-1331057134_thumb.png

I'll post some pics when I can get at them.

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

At the time, it reminded me of Solenochilus, which has a siphuncle near the shell surface:

post-6808-0-90821500-1331007281_thumb.jpg

Context is critical.

Some images of the collecting sites....

Caves in the Bethany Falls:

post-6808-0-64392700-1331028000_thumb.jpg

Yeah, these go back pretty far:

post-6808-0-11741500-1331027154_thumb.jpg

Gypsy with Bethany Falls, Galesburg, Stark and Winterset:

post-6808-0-38530200-1331027196_thumb.jpg

After the cave quarry, we stopped at my favorite Winterset exposure:

post-6808-0-28814900-1331027277_thumb.jpg

Three facies of the upper Winterset are visible above the talus:

post-6808-0-17070700-1331027335_thumb.jpg

The best is the bioclastic oolite, which is the pinkish-brown massive layer:

post-6808-0-95291800-1331027420_thumb.jpg

There are fossil-filled pockets among the cross beds. The brachiopod Composita dominates the assemblage here:

post-6808-0-26213200-1331027728_thumb.jpg

Other pockets contain mollusks of all kinds, including cephalopods, but we didn't hit any this day.

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

Actually Missourian, I did find a couple of cephalopod parts that afternoon. The two on the right in this picture I found that afternoon right before we left. The lighter colored one on the left came from another location several months ago.

pic1 post-7046-0-87870200-1331033481_thumb.jpg

I also found this Pennsylvanian tooth. I believe it is a 'sandalodus' which from what I have read is not really a shark. Any thoughts on that at all? Anyway, here it is! :)

pic2 post-7046-0-39292000-1331033734_thumb.jpg

Charles Darwin

A site diagram, just because.... :)

You've got 'Dennis Fm' in there twice - that can't be right..?

Anyway, looks like a great place to collect - picking brachs off with your fingernail.... too easy

You've got 'Dennis Fm' in there twice - that can't be right..?

Fixed. I'm glad someone's paying attention. :)

It would be nice if there were two Dennis formations.... but then I labeled the actual Dennis Formation as Cherryvale.

Context is critical.

Actually Missourian, I did find a couple of cephalopod parts that afternoon.

I meant the pockets containing cephalopods. When you hit them, they are awesome.

Speaking of cephalopods, who was it that found the Ephippioceras, which is the nautiloid with the chevron-shaped sutures? Edit: or is the Ephippioceras the one you pictured above?

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

Looks like a pretty fun day! Nice job and thanks for the photos. It's nice to put a face to the names I follow on the forums.

Looks like a pretty fun day! Nice job and thanks for the photos. It's nice to put a face to the names I follow on the forums.

Thanks md. I'd like to head out your direction and nab you for a hunt. Maybe drag these guys and gal along, too!

Steve

Thanks md. I'd like to head out your direction and nab you for a hunt. Maybe drag these guys and gal along, too!

Right on. I have been in touch with Rex Buchanan from KGS about the K-4/US24 site with regards to collecting there as it is now officially "closed". He said he got a permit from KDOT to take field trips to the location and is going to try to find out who I need to contact to attempt to get a permit to visit the site. It's the best place I know of around here and really very silly that it's closed. Even if it doesn't happen maybe we can explore the other road cuts right across from the site. I am into that. Also if you plan any other trips in the KC area I would love to go along. I am still quite a newbie and need some Jedi guidance. :)

You guys let me know if you plan something "back east". I'd love to tag along.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

You guys let me know if you plan something "back east". I'd love to tag along.

Ramo

Something tells me that a trip "back east" for you wouldn't be half as cool as a trip "out west" for folks around here. :)