Woehr's October 2011 Texas Collecting Report

Uncle Siphuncle

Roger - If you enjoyed the ammos, perhaps they are good after all!...its easy to get a little burned out on what is common in your own area, no matter where you live and collect. If I let Brett and Weston take point, we all win - they find good stuff and I find it easier to maximize time in the field that way, due to their increased enthusiasm.

I often take surplus fossils with me to give to landowners, their kids, and other people who help me access new property. I hate showing up empty handed when people are doing me a favor. BTW, Jean-Louis and family are staying with me and collecting for a while....

IP - Just a 12 foot sit on top Ocean Kayak 2 seater - nothing specialized or high end. I use it for fossiling, fishing etc.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I sure enjoyed this report and your finds.. eat%20popcorn.gif

When is the Pennsylvanian age report coming out? You mentioned in a post

awhile back..

Welcome to the forum!

Excellent report! AMAZING finds!!! Congratulations!!!

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

roz...my upcoming nov report will feature penn thru pleistocene. twas a great month. i went nuts collecting while my girlfriend was deployed overseas this fall... hence several months of full tilt reports in the works. maybe you and lance can help me id some of the penn spoils once prepped...i'll email you both pics

Grüße,

Dan,

As always, a great pleasure to read!

Thanks for putting these together - Love to see the finds and obviously great memories being generated for Weston.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks y'all

Grüße,

As always, your trip reports are fun reads and testaments to what can happen when you do your own research and pack for a variety of emergencies (back-up propeller).

That first shark tooth could be a Cretalamna lower first anterior though that root lobe seems to have a rather sharp tip to it (unless wear has ground it that way) and the crown seems rather broad up from the base - perhaps a Cretalamna moroccana lower which I'm not sure I've seen before.

The second tooth looks like a Cretalamna maroccana (upper tooth) - an uncommon find in the Maastrictian of Texas as I understand it.

Jess

hey jess, thanks for the info! rare works for me. i've been working this formation for 6 years or so and only turned up a few good examples of this species with roots. even blades arent very common.

if you liked this report, you are sure to enjoy the next several, all chock-full-o MUA HA HA moments...and yes, doing one's own legwork tends to result in handsome "finder's fees" at times...bringing a level of satisfaction that for me can't be found in "hand me down" sites... but to each his/her own...

Edited by danwoehr

Grüße,

roz...my upcoming nov report will feature penn thru pleistocene. twas a great month. i went nuts collecting while my girlfriend was deployed overseas this fall... hence several months of full tilt reports in the works. maybe you and lance can help me id some of the penn spoils once prepped...i'll email you both pics

Sure sounds good to me!

Welcome to the forum!

Your reports are the best. Makes me want to work a little harder on mine the next time I get out into the field. That blade is awesome, for some reason - while I've found a few here and there - I just don't seem to have the knack for finding artifacts. The baby.... yeah, agreed with the creepy comment, expecially in situ; you are a man after my own heart by picking it up, I try to leave the sites I collect cleaner than I found them.

next time i'll quietly hide the baby in farley's backpack and let his wife find it...hehehe

Grüße,

Reading your reports and getting to look at picts always makes nursing school a lot easier to handle. It's my fossil therapy. ^_^

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'