Poughkeepsie Area Fossils?

Renee Yancy

Hi kids!

I'm new to the forum. I had a fossil collection when I was a little girl but nothing like you guys have here! Wow. I'm here now because I have a specific question about what kind of fossils might be found in the Hudson River area, particularly the Poughkeepsie-Hyde Park area. I am writing a book and my character collected fossils in that area when she was a child.

Anybody out there with expertise in this particular area? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Thank you. I went to the site and that's quite a find. I'm thinking about something a bit smaller, though, something a child might find poking around the river or the bluffs that edge the Hudson. The year is about 1880 in the story.

Hi kids!

I'm new to the forum. I had a fossil collection when I was a little girl but nothing like you guys have here! Wow. I'm here now because I have a specific question about what kind of fossils might be found in the Hudson River area, particularly the Poughkeepsie-Hyde Park area. I am writing a book and my character collected fossils in that area when she was a child.

Anybody out there with expertise in this particular area? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hello Renee, and Welcome to the Forum! :)

Poughkeepsie is in Duchess County, and this site says there are trilobites to be found in the area, as well as hyoliths.

I would expect that you could find brachiopods, and gastropods in the limestones and shales of the area, as well.

Forum member Umbro did some posts about finding fossils in that general area, last summer. Check out some of his posts, HERE.

Right along the Hudson, however, I believe the rock is more metamorphic, but don't quote me on that, though. :blush:

You might try to message (PM) Forum Member Erose, as he spent much time around that area, I believe. He may be able to help you out.

As far as I know, there are many fossiliferous areas in through Poughkeepsie along Route 9.

Hope this is helpful.

Best of luck with the book. ;)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Renee, Cephalopods from the Upper Cambrian, according to US and Can. Fossil Site for Poughkeepsie proper, seem to be the most common finds among "little girls" :) John

Edited by dragonsfly

Thank you very much, Tim and Dragonfly. That's very helpful and I'm going to check out the sites Tim recommended too. The best fossil I ever found was a piece of what looked like petrified sand or mud, and it has the little ridges that you see on an undisturbed lake bed. You guys are the best!

I went to check out Umbro's posts and he has a picture of the same type of fossil I found years ago in western New York state. He calls it "waveforms".

I think they're more commonly called ripple marks, when fossilized. :)

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 1 month later...

Hi Renee,

The Hyde park area doesnt contain to many fossils. Unfortunately many of the rocks in the area have few fossils in them. There is a mixture of metamorphic rocks around the surrounding area. My brother and I scouted the southern part of dutchess county along the cambrian bedrock boundry. We found what appeared to be "hash" fossil sandstone. I don't know to much about hyde park except that up by poets walk I did find one time brachipods in shale type rock near the riverside. You can put that in the book if you like.

Whats the story called?