Canada, Not Quite A Winter Wonderland

Malcolmt

Well it should be about 0 Celcius up here but instead it is 16. Thats about 58 farenheight. They are calling for 70 farenheight by Thursday. A few of us from the forum went about an hour and a half north of Toronto to the Brechin area. There should be about a foot of snow on the ground up there right now. From the pictures below you can see that there is just some ice. By the afternoon the whole area was a real mudfest. Actually quite pleasant weather for fossil hunting. Nothing too astounding found, but I suspect we found aparts from a least 7 different species of trilos. Mostly pygidiums and cephalons from Ceraurus, flexicalymene senaria , lots of isotelus pygidiums, also bumastoides, calyptaulax, thaleops, Amphylichas.

post-4886-0-37140400-1331513281_thumb.jpg

post-4886-0-85635000-1331513284_thumb.jpg

post-4886-0-80545600-1331513288_thumb.jpg

post-4886-0-73243300-1331513291_thumb.jpg

post-4886-0-84195800-1331513294_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malcolmt

Thanks for the quarry pics. It gives one an idea of what you have to look through to get the trilobites.

Context is critical.

Looks like they are getting ready to do a shot on the third level there. Should be good pickings right afterwards.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I don't think so the whole site is very much winterized right now. It will take them a few weeks to get everything ready to go. the lowest level is very clean of blast rock right now There should be some some blasting soon after they open up for the season. What we really need is for them to expand the upper levels but I think they are running out of land.

The trip didn't quite live up to what I had hoped, but still wasn't too bad. It started off chilly but soon warmed up, and by the end of the day was really quite pleasant in just shirt sleeves. With ice crashing down from the quarry walls constantly, I wound up with 1 enrolled Flexicalymene on a small piece of matrix, an Isotelus roller in B-grade (too good to leave, but not going in the collection) another prone trilobite, possibly Calyptaulax, but he's right on the corner of a slab and needs to be cleaned to see the extent of any damage. As for partials, I brought home an Amphilichas glabella and 2 Achatella cranidiums, one of which is right beside a Ceraurus hypostome. I also found only my 2nd ever loose Isotelus hypostome, but I never checked to see if it survived the trip home. The last piece worth mentioning was another Hindia sponge, not all that common. I'll post a few pics later.

As for expansion, I was told by the secretary there that she thinks they will be expanding to the North

Edited by Northern Sharks

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

They need to dig down and out (but mostly down to the Bobcaygeon!). :D

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I'd like a chance to see what is in the upper layer of the Veralum. The scree that falls down from it on the first lift is pretty picked over.

The upper layers is where the interesting stuff resides.... J. Waddington ROM collected edrios and published many yrs ago.... recently a carpoid was found in the upper layers...

I'd like a chance to see what is in the upper layer of the Veralum. The scree that falls down from it on the first lift is pretty picked over.

One thing for sure, you will not find criniods in the upper layers. They are very rare up there. I collected that quarry when they were working the upper layers and never found a crinoid. The crinoids only began to come out when they hit the bottom of the Verulam. The floor of the quarry is bobcaygeon formation. I suspect that most of the crinoids are in the lower Verulam. If they do blast the top layer, you will find edrioasteroids (we found them by the 100's back in the 80's) as well as cystoids, and trilobites. Most of the complete Verulam trilobites I have came from the upper layers. There will be plenty of fossils to be found. The only danger is the closing of the quarry. The copper thieves have put a bad taste in their mouths.

Crinus

Edited by crinus

One thing for sure, you will not find criniods in the upper layers. They are very rare up there. I collected that quarry when they were working the upper layers and never found a crinoid. The crinoids only began to come out when they hit the bottom of the Verulam. The floor of the quarry is bobcaygeon formation. I suspect that most of the crinoids are in the lower Verulam. If they do blast the top layer, you will find edrioasteroids (we found them by the 100's back in the 80's) as well as cystoids, and trilobites. Most of the complete Verulam trilobites I have came from the upper layers. There will be plenty of fossils to be found. The only danger is the closing of the quarry. The copper thieves have put a bad taste in their mouths.

Crinus

You are much more likely to find loose calyxs up there rather than complete specimens. My Carabocrinus and Hybocrinus both came from the top layers, as did my paracrinoid Comarocystites. I also know of one VERY weathered but more or less complete specimen of Archaeocrinus(?) on a slab in the cow pasture.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else