Quarry Closed To Collecting

rod

I was just notified of a very sad thing. Seems the TMSA (Tennessee Mine Safety Administration) is confronting quarries in and around Tennessee and have closed them to fossil collecting as of this week. I just await this in the quarries we visit in other states!

- ROD

Bummer! I have always felt so fortunate when I have been allowed to collect in a quarry. I sign the waiver saying whatever stupid thing I do is my fault, and off I go :)

Our club was supposed to visit Parson's Quarry in April but was informed that fossil collecting was no longer possible.

Insurance is usually the reason.

In Richard Spur quarry, fossil dealers passing themselves off as collectors did the worst damage. There was a lawsuit between two Dallas lowlife dealers suing each other for a number of skeletons that they had decided they would sell and split the profits. The scumbags tried to cheat each other and it closed the quarry down for a long time.

Unfortunately, I am responsible for closing the quarry since 2007. I went into the quarry with two groups in 2007 and spent a total of 8 hours in the quarry. I removed a ton of matrix and pulled out almost 20 skulls, and 6 complete articulated skeletons as well as oodles of verts, jaws, etc.

I did the opposite, and donated everything to the Sam Noble museum for study.

Now they decided that the quarry is too scientifically significant to let us get back in.

How's that for irony!?!!?!

That's sad Boneman. You did the right thing and got punished - and the fossils just keep eroding to dust. :(

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

Unfortunately, I am responsible for closing the quarry since 2007. I went into the quarry with two groups in 2007 and spent a total of 8 hours in the quarry. I removed a ton of matrix and pulled out almost 20 skulls, and 6 complete articulated skeletons as well as oodles of verts, jaws, etc.

I did the opposite, and donated everything to the Sam Noble museum for study.

Now they decided that the quarry is too scientifically significant to let us get back in.

How's that for irony!?!!?!

They could have at least had the courtesy of grandfathering you in due to your generosity.

Context is critical.

boneman... this tale makes me weep. What a bummer.

X2!

That is the kind of response from a museum that makes regular folk stop bringing in material, definitely a bad PR move!