Ordovician Fossils Trip.

Petrified

Im going to be going to an area that I was able to identify as Ordovician time frame. So if anyone wants to go to this location with me let me know. Im available almost anytime so PM me and let me know. Ive found these in creeks so a Trilobyte is a possiblity.

Definition of a fossil= Love at first site.

You'll probably get a better response if you let people know where you are, at least roughly. I for one have no idea where "Elk County" is.

Don

Amazingly enough I only found one Elk County on Google maps, in PA. I thought they would be more common!

Sorry to laugh but thats funny Scylla. The place I found the fossils is in Cameron County. The area is about 30 miles from Ridgway PA where Im from.

Sorry to laugh but thats funny Scylla. The place I found the fossils is in Cameron County. The area is about 30 miles from Ridgway PA where Im from.

Both my parents were born & raised in Smethport; we still have a camp south of town. I drive over the Bootjack Summit a couple times a year. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Theres only one Elk County in the US so everyone knows that. Thats in PA only. Back in the early 19th early 20th century Elk were brought to PA to live in the wild. Now they have a hunting season for the Elk here due to the population climb. For years the Elk were protected here and it became a major tourist attraction for people to come and see the Elk. People come from all over the World to see these Elk too. The Elk in the area are bigger than the ones out west due to food source. I changed my location to my town to save the confusion.

If youre ever in the area Id be honored to show you around Auspex.

Hey Petrified, Cameron County, PA doesn't have any Ordovician in it. The oldest rocks are upper Devonian in age and the youngest are Pennsylvanian. You might find some Marine fossils in the Devonian rocks, but by the Mississippian the ocean was about gone and a swampy delta was in it's place. Still, your not far from Red Hill near Hyner, PA in Clinton county. There you can find fossil fish from the Devonian. You probably have a good chance of finding some plant fossils too in the Pennsylvanian sediments. If you go southeast towards State College you will find Ordovician aged rocks. There is a road cut at the intersection of RT 322 and 655 at Reedsville that has some Ordovician aged fossils in it. I've found Trilobites and Brachs mostly. Exit 322 and park on 655 then walk the roadcuts.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thats odd because the fossils I found were only listed in the Ordovician time frame. The cephlapod and sponge must of been around during the Devonian time frame also then.

Post pictures and we'll tell you what we think about the ID. Cephalopods and sponges were certainly both around in the Ordovician and the Devonian, as they are today.

Don

The "Big Level" was a continental environment during the Ordovician, so there was no marine deposition (that I know of). Down around Mount Union, you can get into it nicely.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Ill have to go back to Emporium PA and see if I can find some more fossils from the one spot I looked. Unfortunately I gave away the other fossils I had from there 2 years ago. The one spot was near the Cameron County golf course and the other was downtown emporium by Uni Mart in the creek. Ill go get some more fossils from the areas and post pics of them on here when my car gets fixed. I hit a deer recently so Im hoping to get the car back soon.

The fossils I found near the golf course were sponge anchorage spines. The fossil by Uni Mart was an Endoceras (cephalopod). The sponge anchorage spines date from Cambrian-Devonian. The Endoceras dates from middle to late Ordovician. Now where the Endoceras was found it was the only fossil I found at all that day. So it probably was an out of place fossil. That fossil could of originally been up stream a long ways and ended up there after yrs of floods and so on. Where the anchorage spines were found I found numerous fossils there.

Edited by Petrified

Up Emporium way, you are at the edge of some glacial deposits (otherwise absent from the Allegheny Plateau); it could have been a glacial transport from further north.

Endoceras is a straight shelled nautiloid cephalopod that is indeed confined to the Ordovician. However there are other genera of straight shelled cephalopods that are found in Devonian and later aged rocks. Michelinoceras and Spyroceras are the two most commonly known genera from the Devonian through the Pennsylvanian in PA. Pseudorthoceras is another that is listed as being known from the Pennsylvanian of PA. Can you post pictures of what you found?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I gave the fossils to a friend of mine awhile back so I no longer have them on hand. I only keep the ones I like the most and give away fossils to try to spark an interest in other people. I remember the day i found the fossil when I picked it up it looked like a rusted rod sticking out of the stone. Then when I examined it it was indeed a cephlapod. It was about the diameter of a quarter and 3 inches sticking out of the stone. The weirdest part was the type of rock it was. The rock kind of looked like a pudding stone but without all the pebbles. It had alot of iron deposit in the stone also. When I was working on the stone to make the cephlaod stick out more it broke (lesson learned). I am going back to this location this year and see if I can find anymore stuff. Now that I have the right tools Im able to prep the fossils better. I found a cephlapod in the other area too and when I was working on that the stone broke but the cephlapod stayed intact. That ceph was a little one and black in color. So my goal this year is to find a really nice cephlapod there and not break it and prep it really nice.