A Few North Sulphur River Finds

barefootgirl

Hit the North Sulphur and did a little hunting. Here's what I dragged home. Lots of Verts of various sizes and one nice Globidens as well as a goblin shark tooth.

post-1082-0-77629900-1331694276_thumb.jpg post-1082-0-01395100-1331694284_thumb.jpg

post-1082-0-53938500-1331694289_thumb.jpg

post-1082-0-10446000-1331694294_thumb.jpg

post-1082-0-49572100-1331694306_thumb.jpg

Edited by barefootgirl

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

post-1082-0-13520300-1331694466_thumb.jpg

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Ohhhh Awwwww Verts . :) :) Tera wondered where you have been I LOVE them verts terrific and awesome, Great finds thanks for sharing.... Jeff/Tarheel

Ohhhh Awwwww Verts . :) :) Tera wondered where you have been I LOVE them verts terrific and awesome, Great finds thanks for sharing.... Jeff/Tarheel

Thanks Tarheel, I've been busy with nursing school. :)

Alfred North Whithead

Tera---Awesome verts, the Globidens are so rare, the best of the best of finds---Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Tera,

Awesome Globidens!

Good to see that you are out hunting, and back here, posting. :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Good work, Madame Mosasaur, gatekeeper of the North Sulphur River!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I love that tooth, so far they have hidden from me.. Lots of verts too!

Glad you got a good break from study.. :)

Welcome to the forum!

Good work, Madame Mosasaur, gatekeeper of the North Sulphur River!

OHH I like that! Gotta get that put on a T-shirt! Now I wanna change my name. lol :fistbump::P

Alfred North Whithead

Thanks everyone, it was so nice to get out and hunt again. Barry of course was with me and he found some pretty spectacular finds as well.

Alfred North Whithead

Very nice verts. You guys are welcome for the rain we brought down.

Ramo

(Next time we are coming down AFTER the rain.)

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Yeah I was sad to see you left without hitting the sulphur. I still could have put you on some finds without any rain. Thanks for the rain though. :D

Alfred North Whithead

Oh what fun it is to be a fossil hunter and nature lover.Spring is just about here and the froggies are active in the creeks and rivers.Which of course means the snakeys will be arriving shortly.After two days of fossil hunting nary a serpent was seen.Which was very surprising!!Tera grabbed a beautiful immature bullfrog which was in great condition after this mild winter we have had.

On to the fossils and such. This vertebra was odd looking compared to the cervical and caudal verts we normally find.Checking the North Sulphur River book at home revealed this to be the Pygal vertebra ,the first vertebra behind the skull.

post-417-0-26322000-1331744683_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-84667000-1331744699_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-32820800-1331744716_thumb.jpg

Next is this neat piece with a crushed echinoid with spines scattered throughout.There is also a little piece of bone on one side.

post-417-0-60998100-1331744738_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-05193500-1331744764_thumb.jpg

I also found this expertly crafted Gary dart point that is so symmetrical it looks to be machine made.

My best point so far..

post-417-0-47584300-1331744852_thumb.jpg

Continued

Between the two of us I think we did a good job of finding some great stuff. I could still kill you for finding that Gary point before me though. :P

Alfred North Whithead

I hired a hand model to go with me on hunting trips from now on :)

Anyway here are some more pics of the point and the group photo of what I took home.

A few preform artifacts,shark vert ,2 enchodus jaw sections, a large scapanorhynchus texanus.post-417-0-92936100-1331745312_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-83996300-1331745329_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-65922500-1331745351_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-17000600-1331745392_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-25228700-1331745369_thumb.jpg

On a side note,we have these thorn vines here in Texas that come after you with bad intent.I was a victim while billygoating the sides of the North Sulphur River.Last time those darn thorns ripped a hole in my waders .

post-417-0-89904100-1331745403_thumb.jpg

Ahhh, the things we do for our passions.......

I love your discoveries, Barry.. That is the first Pygal I have seen! That's way cool..

Now you know an ech area there is a good chance you could find an uncrushed one..

That one sure had all the spines!

Welcome to the forum!

Hi Roz, the echie spines were found on a gravel bar with the rest of the items.It's hard to tell just how far this piece tumbled down the river. Your guess would be as valid as mine :)

Barry---The ech. spines are very interesting along with the Mos. vert., very nice addition to your collection, that river just keeps on giving--Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

Barry, I just went and looked at the Gary point I have and it's amazing they look like they came from the same type of rock and share the same color.

Alfred North Whithead

Tera/Barry--The Gary knife is made from Ogallala chert that ranges from dark pink to a light grey, this is a pretty common material used for points found in the river and land sites in N.E. Texas, that is a well flaked point---Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

You know artifacts are just as amazing to me as fossils.

They come in a variety of colors ,and no two are exactly alike.

It's an overwhelming feeling to me to hold an artifact that was previously held by a real hunter and gatherer.An ancient man who made that point to gain sustenance and survive.

You know artifacts are just as amazing to me as fossils.

They come in a variety of colors ,and no two are exactly alike.

It's an overwhelming feeling to me to hold an artifact that was previously held by a real hunter and gatherer.An ancient man who made that point to gain sustenance and survive.

You are correct in no two are alike, once bitten by the artifact bug, hunting the channel becomes double fun as these guys blend into gravel bars and it takes a trained eye to see a partially exposed point laying there with other rocks---Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"