Giant Cement Quarry

Taffie

I was very lucky to be invited to go on a hunt at Giant Cement in Harleyville, SC a few weeks ago. Of course, I jumped at the chance, I'd never been to a quarry to hunt so I was thrilled for the opportunity. What a fun day it was, a great experience. According to my host, it wasn't one of the most productive days but I found a few things and I was happy. The last two pics are of an oyster (front and back). Thanks for looking. I think the quarry is Eocene, not sure.

post-6966-0-50918000-1331756444_thumb.jpg

post-6966-0-92092000-1331756480_thumb.jpg

post-6966-0-89399800-1331756485_thumb.jpg

post-6966-0-15925400-1331756557_thumb.jpg

Edited by Taffie

Those are some cool colors on them teeth Taffie and the verts are not shabby either. Glad you had a great day out better than a day inside. :) Thanks for sharing. :) Jeff/Tarheel

I went there last year. Our group found several very nice rics. Is that a Parotodus second from the left on the bottom?

I went there last year. Our group found several very nice rics. Is that a Parotodus second from the left on the bottom?

It's Eocene material, so I'd vote Isurus precursor

Edited by Sharks of SC

Those are some cool colors on them teeth Taffie and the verts are not shabby either. Glad you had a great day out better than a day inside. :) Thanks for sharing. :) Jeff/Tarheel

According to my host the verts are from a sawtooth shark, too bad they were broken. Love the colors, too. Thanks, Jeff :D

Far better than I've ever done in the quarries! And yep- its eocene! Nice finds!

Thanks, Cade.

Glad CBK was able to answer that question. :)

Yep, definitely a lower tooth from the Eocene mako Isurus praecursor and the sand dollar would be Periarchus lyelli. Good stuff.

It's Eocene material, so I'd vote Isurus precursor

Yeah I knew that but it sure looks like one.

Way back when, we used to send Giant Cement hazardous waste to burn in their kiln for finishing the concrete. Good to know they are still in business.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

hi all !

the urchin was a scutella ( miocène - éocène ) we have the same in france !

you have some ray teeth and spine ray tail too ! ( aetobatys ? )

nice find !!

eric .

Edited by eric94

Wow taffie great finds, I love the colors on those praecursors. The tooth mistaken for a benedini fooled me as well before I enlarged the picture. But I agree with Isurus praecursor. I have seen some nice sawshark vertebrae come out of some NC quarries, too bad yours werent complete, but Im sure you will find one soon enough! Thanks for posting!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Way back when, we used to send Giant Cement hazardous waste to burn in their kiln for finishing the concrete. Good to know they are still in business.

Brent Ashcraft

:)

looks like you had fun. nice.

Yes, I did have fun and I hope someday to have another chance to go. :D

Wow taffie great finds, I love the colors on those praecursors. The tooth mistaken for a benedini fooled me as well before I enlarged the picture. But I agree with Isurus praecursor. I have seen some nice sawshark vertebrae come out of some NC quarries, too bad yours werent complete, but Im sure you will find one soon enough! Thanks for posting!

Thanks for looking, Mike, I hope to get a chance to hunt their again. :)