Liberty, Tx Fossils?

Beckyb

i am going to Liberty Tx east side of Houston in a week and maybe near Tomball, Tx north of Houston also. is there anywhere to find fossils near there?

Beckyb,

If I were in Liberty, Tx and was looking for fossils I would try to find out where any gravel/sand quarry operations were on or near the Trinity River. You may be able to find petrified wood there and if you are lucky maybe some small pieces of palm wood. If you go north about 30/40 miles around Livingston the chances of finding petrified wood improve. Look in the creeks and gullys.

Now for Tomball you want to go north up to Bryan, Tx then go west on Texas Hyway 21 till you cross the Brazos River. The bridge over the river is called Whiskey Bridge and you are at one of the best and most famous fossil collecting sites in Texas (also called the Stone City Bluff and you are geologically on the Stone City Formation, Claiborne Group, Eocene). Park on the west side of the bridge and follow the path down to the river. I think its about an hour and a half trip from Tomball to the site, not too far by Texas standards.

Many of the fossils found at the Stone City Bluff site are the same or are cousins of fossils found at Claiborne Bluff on the Alabama River at Claiborne, Alabama in Monroe County.

After I collected in Texas I would hot foot it back to South Alabama to collect Eocene fossils there.

Jim

The Eocene is my favorite

Beckyb

These days I don't know if anywhere is safe for someone alone.

The Whiskey Bridge location is fairly public, the creeks and gullys in east Texas around Liberty probably not so much. I would think that on a weekend there would be several people collecting at Whiskey Bridge.

Jim

The Eocene is my favorite

are these areas safe for someone by them selves?

probably more safer than a walmart parking lot

I agree it would be safer than walmart and to carry a big stick. I am not going to be able to go to the other site mentioned. Not enough time. I will go there the next time I come to Houston. I will check out the river in liberty.