Heading Blind Into The Arbuckles?

bhartmann10

• New Members

To this point, my fossil hunting has been largely self-guided. I have done some hunting and scouting of areas that I have run across including road cuts and the like and I am compiling a list of spots I wish to examine based upon publications available from the OK Geological Survey.

Living where I do, it is only a matter of time before I try my hand at going after trilobites in the Arbuckle Mountains of southern Oklahoma. For me, it would be a weekend trip into a blind area. My question is, though I know that there are or have been commercial collecting spots (White Mound, etc) and that hunters are likely to closely guard the locations of where they collect, how is the road-side hunting in that region?

Are roadcuts all played out? Is it fruitful to get some maps, correlate them to the geological formations and then just drive back and forth? Or is that a one-way ticket to disappointment?

Thoughts?

Brian

I just got back from White Mound, and I would say that place is worth every penny. My wife and I hunted there for about 4 hours, and found 6-7 trilobites. We also picked up lots of brachs. I can't wait to get back there. Pat happened to be working some calves when we were there, so we got a chance to visit with him. He is a super nice guy. We drove a car, and had to walk about 200 yards to the mound, so we didn't have any cash on us when Pat stopped by to visit. I asked him if he wanted me to I would run back to the car to pay him. He said "No go ahead and hunt. Just send it in the mail." There is still a lot to be found at that spot.

Ramo

post-40-0-27774600-1331945546_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-34328700-1331945568_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Fossilcrazy, PM sent with Pat's phone number.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

• 1 month later...

From what I have found, the road cuts are usually not very fruitful as far as trilobites. However, I have found an outcrop near the wichita falls region that has produced numerous small Phacops. There is also a new region, for me at least, called rock crossing southwest of Ardmore. I have been skimming over numerous scientific articles and have finally pinpointed where it is located. It has a reported 30+ Trilobite species found in the area. I plan on hunting the area very soon! Let me know if you are interested in either of these locations.

post-5264-0-25156900-1336103620_thumb.jpg

post-5264-0-50654500-1336103632_thumb.jpg